The Cosy Nook Cafe Port Erin

paswt

The demand for anything above cafe snack eating must be very limited in Port Erin. 

in the last 6 months, or so, South Coastal and Little Fish at the Bay have both closed. And today the Bay itself has closed its doors.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

33 minutes ago, John Wright said:

The demand for anything above cafe snack eating must be very limited in Port Erin. 

in the last 6 months, or so, South Coastal and Little Fish at the Bay have both closed. And today the Bay itself has closed its doors.

I understand from a staff member that Little Fish was due to reopen in the summer, but that’s probably been overtaken by viral events.

3 minutes ago, Uhtred said:

I understand from a staff member that Little Fish was due to reopen in the summer, but that’s probably been overtaken by viral events.

And of course Derbyhaven has lost 19th Hole and Cafe Bar Two-Six

It's yet another example of the belief in "Build it and they will come" that only those in charge of public money in the Isle of Man seem to think is true.

I was amused to see that Manx Radio reports the plans have 'split opinion', without giving any evidence of who holds the opinion on either side.  Presumably this is their way of referring to Manx Forums without mentioning it.

• Like 1

Nah, there's a big discussion on Manx Nostalgia - very, very few in favour of the design

This is what happens over here tho' - some utter nonentity gets hold of big chunk of public cash, opens new catering facility and - Manxees love a new venue for about 9 weeks - puts everyone else in the area out of business

You'd think a body like PE Commissioners would have more sense but after the Ballkilley debacle we know they have not

Luckily PSM Commissioners wouldn't get their hands on such a large amount

Edited by Donald Trumps

7 minutes ago, John Wright said:

And of course Derbyhaven has lost 19th Hole and Cafe Bar Two-Six

Didn’t the 19th Hole re-open under new management/new name? If that’s gone, as has Cafe Bar Two-Six, it’s a bit of a dismal scene in the south.

Just now, Roger Mexico said:

It's yet another example of the belief in "Build it and they will come" that only those in charge of public money in the Isle of Man seem to think is true.

I was amused to see that Manx Radio reports the plans have 'split opinion', without giving any evidence of who holds the opinion on either side.  Presumably this is their way of referring to Manx Forums without mentioning it.

That being said, I hated the new place at the Sound for years, didn’t go, missed the old cafe shed and tat and trinket souvenir shop like mad.

I now think it’s settled into its environment well. It’s had ups and downs. It’s had poor tenants/managers. It’s ok, but underutilised.

Problem is with big new shiny places that they’re really expensive to kit out. The overheads make it difficult to make a go of things.

Look at the successful places, over 40 years, Molyneux’s, la Rosette, Peter Ellenburgers Laxey Glen, l’Experience, Enzo’s, smaller, cheaper to kit out and run, Lots of atmosphere, and great chef patrons, and even then some didn’t last all that long.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Uhtred said:

Didn’t the 19th Hole re-open under new management/new name? If that’s gone, as has Cafe Bar Two-Six, it’s a bit of a dismal scene in the south.

I believe so. But if the previous tenant couldn’t make a go on the new rental deal the landlord is reputed to have wanted, then I’d fear for the long term.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, John Wright said:

We went to the Bay to try out Little Fish when it opened: we had a dog, so knew we wouldn’t be allowed in the restaurant.  But they wouldn’t serve/bring LF food through into the bar area, even though there were only two people in the restaurant and we were the only people in the bar at the time.  Not been back.  A bit more of a dog-friendly approach would have probably paid dividends - cf the Shore, Cycle 360 etc.

11 minutes ago, Uhtred said:

There are a couple good places in Castletown. And good fish in Port St Mary.