Amazing New Aeroplane...

La Colombe

2 minutes ago, P.K. said:

I've flown a motorised glider. You should read about gliders before mouthing off.

I think you mean motor glider. You should read about them before mouthing off. They are quite distinct from gliders which don't have any means of self propulsion. 

1 hour ago, La Colombe said:

I think you mean motor glider. You should read about them before mouthing off. They are quite distinct from gliders which don't have any means of self propulsion. 

We at the gliding club referred to it as a "motorised glider" as it happens. But we only had one and a queue a mile long. The master of the obvious is absolutely right in that they are distinguishable from non-motorised gliders as they have an engine on the front with an attached propeller. Bit difficult to miss actually....

If anyone wants to get into gliding or just wants a fun week or weekend away I can thoroughly recommend The Gliding Centre near where the M1, M6 and A14 cross. Excellent facilities with private rooms and/or bunkhouse accomodation, meals etc etc. https://www.theglidingcentre.co.uk I have to say a winch takeoff going from nought to lots is a real rush. Especially if you get a crack-off on your first rotation.....

Did gliding as a kid (with the ATC) still may have the little green licence (A & B if memory serves)

Back in the 60's learned on Sedbergs (sp?),  pupil and instructor side by side  and then on to student in front , instructor behind (can't remember the name of the glider).

Learned  at Burton Wood Airfield   ( winch) but you could catch thermals off the expanses of concrete , happy days .

10 hours ago, P.K. said:

I have to say a winch takeoff going from nought to lots is a real rush. Especially if you get a crack-off on your first rotation.....

Sounds a bit ambitious to me. I’d recommend you restrain yourself whilst in the air and avail of the private room option if it gets you that excited. 

Archived