Suicide Squad

4 hours ago, 2112 said:

I see Silly Billy Henderson has had a rant against police officers calling them ‘victorian’ to the Tynpotwald committee of inquiry regarding Suicide. 

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/police-response-to-mental-health-dubbed-victorian/

Yes, I do acknowledge that Silly Billy has more experience in Mental Health, due to working in the profession for over 20 years. I do find it a bit galling Silly Billy blaming the police, and in some respects it may be argued that Silly Billy could have some fault levelled at him. After all Silly Billy has been a professional politician for many years, serving on Department of Social  Care, Department of Health and currently is a member of the Treasury. Perhaps with his ‘influence’and track record he could have sorted out some of the issues sooner as compared to letting other well intentioned people sort things out.

Like Cretney, Henderson is another Tynwald dinosaur long overdue for culling.

• Like 1

• 3 years later...

Tim Glover MHK has been on the NPM going on about an island suicide prevention strategy. In all fairness, whilst some aspects of IOMG showing concern and trying to help its citizens, it’s a bit of a joke in its itself and rather meaningless waffle - I say this due to the state of the current mental health facilities, and mental health provisions. Also in some cases no amount  of support, assistance or treatment can help and if some wishes to take their own life, they will.

Another thing concerns me, is Tim Glover MHK mentioning in Tynpotwald that so far this year (2023) 3 people have taken their own lives. How does he know this, why is he privilege to this information. The police are forever appealing to the public not to speculate or discuss on social media. 

Edited by 2112

1 minute ago, Gizo said:

Tim has close family who have lost someone through suicide. So his cause is just. 

Maybe so, he could have said though there have been suicides this year, I won’t divulge any numbers. Whilst it may seem unpleasant but have we statistics as to lack of mental health treatment, financial or other aspects have played a role? 

Without investment in Mental Health Services by Manx Care, then I’m afraid it’s all more Tynpotwald pie in the sky waffle. 

31 minutes ago, 2112 said:

Tim Glover MHK has been on the NPM going on about an island suicide prevention strategy. In all fairness, whilst some aspects of IOMG showing concern and trying to help its citizens, it’s a bit of a joke in its itself and rather meaningless waffle - I say this due to the state of the current mental health facilities, and mental health provisions. Also in some cases no amount  of support, assistance or treatment can help and if some wishes to take their own life, they will.

Another thing concerns me, is Tim Glover MHK mentioning in Tynpotwald that so far this year (2023) 3 people have taken their own lives. How does he know this, why is he privilege to this information. The police are forever appealing to the public not to speculate or discuss on social media. 

That was a shocking statistic.  But, as ever  the devil is in the detail.  It was the number of suicide verdicts recorded so far this year.  Still disturbing but not so shocking as was reported.

ETA listened to the report again, he referred to verdicts last year but anecdotal evidence of 3 for this year. Either way it is concerning, but he should have been clear in Tynwald. 

Edited by Gladys
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, 2112 said:

That's nit speculation though. If Glover has his facts right then there have been 3 deaths this year recorded as suicide.

It's speculation when you drag names or cases into the discussion  

I'm more concerned if there has in fact been 3 suicides in just one month. 

Just now, 0bserver said:

That's nit speculation though. If Glover has his facts right then there have been 3 deaths this year recorded as suicide.

It's speculation when you drag names or cases into the discussion  

I'm more concerned if there has in fact been 3 suicides in just one month. 

See my post above. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, 0bserver said:

Thanks @Gladysthat context changes things a little. 

Whether he should or shouldn't have raised this year in Tynwald, I think we all agree that Manx Care/DHSC urgently need to do more for the mental health side of things. 

Couldn't agree more.  The mental health side is appalling.  I know of one person  who went back to see the team a few days after attempting suicide.  They were asked if they felt they would maje another attempt, they said no and were promptly sent on their way within 15 minutes, if that.  No assistance to get to the root of what underlay the first attempt whatsoever. 

so we have a suicides thread and and assisted dying thread ,  are they the same thing , is there any cross over,  to me the assisted dying is a way to end life for purely physical health reasons rather than financial or mental ones ,  and do the suicide stats differentiate between the 3 'reasons' i mentioned ? like has a suicide happened because dignified assisted dying wasn't available?

Edited by WTF
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Gladys said:

They were asked if they felt they would maje another attempt, they said no and were promptly sent on their way within 15 minutes, if that.  No assistance to get to the root of what underlay the first attempt whatsoever. 

Mental health provision is woeful everywhere, not just here, but it is woeful here. Under-staffed and over-subscribed.

A risk analysis will involve considering how significant the attempt was, and asking the person if they'll try again. 

It's a tough one, if "suicide attempt" gets you bumped up the queue for treatment then you'll just end up with more suicide attempts. Similar has happened before when self-harming and eating disorders were prioritised. 

It's also worth noting that people who are genuinely on the verge of attempting suicide are frequently not well enough for any sort of therapy. So until they stabilise there isn't a great deal that can be done, other than medication or detention.