The 'Trans' Issue.

quilp

27 minutes ago, manxman1980 said:

I personally remember bullying classmates for being "creepy" or "gay".  Some of those classmates have subsequently come out as being homosexual and I deeply regret my actions.  I have been fortunate enough to have realised the error of my ways and have some very good friends who are gay.  Perhaps if I had been taught in primary school that some people are different and it is okay for men to love men and women to love women then perhaps I would have understood and classmates would not have been subjected to bullying. 

In high school it can be too late especially around puberty to start delivering these messages.  

small children rarely have the prejudices you state. My granddaughter (8) loves nothing better to knock around with some of the boys in her school. It has already been "expressed" to her mother that maybe she identifies as being a boy. What a crock of shit. When we were at school, we called them tomboys but have grown into some of the loveliest women around. Bullies however, tend to go for the weakest regardless of sex or gender.

High school is the ideal place to start informing them as they will be better equipped to understand what is being explained to them

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, Neil Down said:

small children rarely have the prejudices you state. My granddaughter (8) loves nothing better to knock around with some of the boys in her school. It has already been "expressed" to her mother that maybe she identifies as being a boy. What a crock of shit. When we were at school, we called them tomboys but have grown into some of the loveliest women around. Bullies however, tend to go for the weakest regardless of sex or gender.

High school is the ideal place to start informing them as they will be better equipped to understand what is being explained to them

I agree that small children don't have prejudices.  They are learnt either from peer groups or parents/grandparents.

As for your granddaughter, I am not going to suggest that she is trans, and I would not even refer to her as a "tomboy".  If, however, she started coming to you asking why she was not like the boys then perhaps you would agree that there is need for a conversation?  Even at that point if she said she wanted to be a boy I would not be suggesting anything more radical than giving her support and space to discuss her feelings.  

If you were to "punish" her or scold her for having those feelings it will have a negative effect on your relationship with her.

In all likelihood though your granddaughter is just a typical child who sees boys and girls as equals with no real concern over who she plays with.  Wouldn't it be a better world if we could all just accept each other like children do?

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, RIchard Britten said:

Just out of interest, what was your parents views on gay people when you are school?

I have no idea, but given my mother's brother was gay, I would imagine very tolerant. Sorry to shatter any theories you may be harbouring

1 minute ago, Neil Down said:

I have no idea, but given my mother's brother was gay, I would imagine very tolerant. Sorry to shatter any theories you may be harbouring

Not harbouring any "theories", just trying to find out (unsuccessfully after several pages) what is the actual problem you have with kids have relationship education at primary school and why you feel they should have to wait until their teens?

1 minute ago, RIchard Britten said:

Not harbouring any "theories", just trying to find out (unsuccessfully after several pages) what is the actual problem you have with kids have relationship education at primary school and why you feel they should have to wait until their teens?

Maybe you are just stirring and looking for something that isn't there. After all, it is your modus operandi on this forum...

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Grounds Keeper Willy said:

Just because you’ve been bitten by a vampire doesn’t turn a biological mortal man or woman into an immortal blood sucking vampire! It’s too weird to contemplate! 

Seems to work with Tynwald....

• Haha 1

On 1/17/2020 at 1:54 PM, RIchard Britten said:

Richard, you don’t seem to understand what decades of cultural and societal indoctrination does to individuals. It’s hard, if not impossible, to simply reject what you were brought up as knowing to be right. 

I’m almost 50. Neil’s older I imagine. When I was a kid homosexuality wasn’t illegal but it wasn’t far off, and for my parents generation it most certainly was. I remember my dad had a work colleague he’d known for years and used to drink with. Never married. In about 1985 he was either outed or came out as gay, which was a big deal. On finding this out my dad didn’t want to sit near him in the pub, until my mum told him not to be ridiculous, nothing had changed. 

My dad wasn’t a bigot of any sort, he’d just grown up through an era where ‘those things’ weren’t talked about. If he were alive today I imagine he’d still feel the same about ‘Peter and John’ books etc, despite society moving on. 

Progressive youngsters need to accept that they can’t change the way previous generations feel about things, even if they can influence the way they think. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, wrighty said:

Richard, you don’t seem to understand what decades of cultural and societal indoctrination does to individuals. It’s hard, if not impossible, to simply reject what you were brought up as knowing to be right. 

I’m almost 50. Neil’s older I imagine. When I was a kid homosexuality wasn’t illegal but it wasn’t far off, and for my parents generation it most certainly was. I remember my dad had a work colleague he’d known for years and used to drink with. Never married. In about 1985 he was either outed or came out as gay, which was a big deal. On finding this out my dad didn’t want to sit near him in the pub, until my mum told him not to be ridiculous, nothing had changed. 

My dad wasn’t a bigot of any sort, he’d just grown up through an era where ‘those things’ weren’t talked about. If he were alive today I imagine he’d still feel the same about ‘Peter and John’ books etc, despite society moving on. 

Progressive youngsters need to accept that they can’t change the way previous generations feel about things, even if they can influence the way they think. 

Wasting your time Wrighty, he was looking for an argument.

I'm certainly older than you but thankfully my parents taught us that being gay was never an issue.

4 hours ago, Neil Down said:

Wasting your time Wrighty, he was looking for an argument.

I'm certainly older than you but thankfully my parents taught us that being gay was never an issue.

I'm almost certainly of a similar generation, 242, and I have the philosophy that I don't care if you are red, black, yellow whatever, or if you are LGBT, plus, whatever as long as you are a decent person that's all I care about.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2