The 'Trans' Issue.

quilp

19 minutes ago, Chinahand said:

Helix, I think you are comparing times when Lia was different ages (and on different hormones) with absolute records when people are at maturity.

That approach compresses a lot of the available information.

Perhaps, but that pushes it even more in favour of Lia's competition in female sports being "fair", no? If she has not only entered her prime, but gotten considerably slower, isn't that evidence that the male puberty benefit is gone?

17 minutes ago, manxman1980 said:

The UK now has a transgender MP;

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10667135/Tory-MP-comes-trans-Bridgend-MP-Jamie-Wallis-says-raped.html#comments 

Surprisingly a Tory one and making it public days after the Prime Minister made a joke about transgender people...

S/he has a very chequered history

On 3/29/2022 at 1:47 PM, The Phantom said:

'Emily' who has a penis and was a promising junior cyclist will be competing this week against Laura Kenny at the Derby Velodrome this week.  Could be interesting. 

Not allowed by the governing body this time.

I see the Tories have decided not to include protection for Trans Folk from abusive conversion therapies - 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-60947028

At first glance the reasons sound logical - 

"And Nikki da Costa, a former director of legislative affairs at No 10, said elements of the legislation, particularly relating to gender identity for under 18s and talking therapy, would have had "profound consequences for children struggling with gender dysphoria".

She told BBC Radio 4's Today programme on Friday: "Doctors, therapists and parents would be deterred from exploring with a child any feelings of what else may be going on for fear of being told they're trying to change a child's identity", adding that it was "deeply concerning".

It is thought that the government sees it as too complicated to avoid any unintended consequences of the legislation - which may affect parents, teachers, and therapists who are helping children experiencing gender identity issues."

But it can't be beyond the wit of legislators to draft a law that distinguishes between exploring a person's feelings by accredited professionals and an interventionist programme run by religious quacks?

35 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

I might have got the wrong end of the stick, but I'd have thought trans people probably need some conversion therapy.

Got the joke. But no. Because, that kind of conversion therapy is taking who someone actually is and trying to force them to become something they are not. It’s an extremely damaging practice that has absolutely no scientific basis or backing outside of the loopy looney religious circles. It has never been shown to be effective in converting any type of LGBT person and has been shown to cause immense psychological and long lasting damage to the persons engaged with it. I will never forget a documentary I saw on it a number of years ago. Featuring what I assumed what their conversion leader who tried desperately to convince the camera that he himself was no longer a gay man yet lisped, minced, swayed and fabuloused his way across the screens and couldn’t have shouted “Hi guys I’m the stereotype gay” louder if he wanted to.

People should just let people be people. Life’s too short to give any kind of a fuck who or what someone else is. If they aren’t hurting anyone who cares.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 4/8/2022 at 6:18 PM, wrighty said:

British Cycling now “back-pedalled” on allowing trans-women to compete in female events. Will those that argued that these decisions should be left to governing bodies now claim that they shouldn’t?

If you mean me, then no. They still know more than I do, just like when they had the opposite position. It'd be nice if they published the data they're making the rulings off though, but that's more curiosity/nosyness than anything else.