The 'Trans' Issue.

quilp

Obviously there has been all that furore about 'trans-influencer' Dylan Mulvaney becoming the face of Bud Light, which has been poorly thought out, executed and received. 

I just discovered that last summer, North Face partnered up with the outdoor drag queen, Pattie Gonia to encourage LGBT participation in outdoor adventure sports.  With the tagline "Come out and come out" and "if you're dead inside go outside" you've got drag queens strutting about in the wilderness in a tent dress and hiking boots.   Someone in their marketing department needs a raise.  I couldn't decide initially if it was satire or serious, either way, it's hilarious (I hope intentionally). 

https://www.inverse.com/input/style/the-north-face-taps-drag-queen-pattie-gonia-to-celebrate-pride-outdoors

16 minutes ago, The Phantom said:

Obviously there has been all that furore about 'trans-influencer' Dylan Mulvaney becoming the face of Bud Light, which has been poorly thought out, executed and received. 

I just discovered that last summer, North Face partnered up with the outdoor drag queen, Pattie Gonia to encourage LGBT participation in outdoor adventure sports.  With the tagline "Come out and come out" and "if you're dead inside go outside" you've got drag queens strutting about in the wilderness in a tent dress and hiking boots.   Someone in their marketing department needs a raise.  I couldn't decide initially if it was satire or serious, either way, it's hilarious (I hope intentionally). 

https://www.inverse.com/input/style/the-north-face-taps-drag-queen-pattie-gonia-to-celebrate-pride-outdoors

When you said "in a tent dress" I thought you meant something like a mu-mu, but that's an actual dress with a tent as a skirt.  😂

But if you think those are hiking boots under that tent, I've got a cast and a pair of crutches you might be interested in because if you follow the fashion, you're gonna need them.

Just now, Declan said:

As indicated elsewhere, I'm not part of the fleece wearing classes, but isn't that one of North Face's rivals?

Yes and no. 

The actual founders of both companies were climbing buddies in California in the 60s.  North Face was originally a climbing store and Patagonia made climbing equipment.  

The North Face owner sold out to VC some years ago, but Patagonia is still majority owned by it's founder.  He does lots of good ethical work and no doubt was either in on this, or found it funny.  

• Like 1

Just now, Zarley said:

When you said "in a tent dress" I thought you meant something like a mu-mu, but that's an actual dress with a tent as a skirt.  😂

But if you think those are hiking boots under that tent, I've got a cast and a pair of crutches you might be interested in because if you follow the fashion, you're gonna need them.

There was another video I saw on my Instagram today with her in hiking boots strutting about.  This is what alerted me to this genius. 

5 hours ago, wrighty said:

Nice clue in the Guardian cryptic crossword today:

"Consequence of Gender Reassignment Surgery in a sheep (12)"

Go on, I'm stumped, give us a clue. 

1 hour ago, Declan said:

the ap phrases it “Consequence of sheep’s sex change procedure”

It’s a good one. 

I paraphrased it from memory. Very good clue.  The sort of thing Graham Garden comes up with on ‘I’m sorry I haven’t a clue’ as a new definition. 

@The Phantom - think of a word that means consequence, and how it could be interpreted in the context of a female sheep switching gender. 

• Thanks 1

Just now, wrighty said:

Ramification

Clever isn’t it 🙂

Maybe, but as I’ve said I don’t get this cryptic crossword thing. Apparently there are all sort of rules and nuances that you have to follow to get the answer. I think you have to be a particular sort of person. 
But thank you for putting me out of my misery!

2 hours ago, wrighty said:

I paraphrased it from memory. Very good clue.  The sort of thing Graham Garden comes up with on ‘I’m sorry I haven’t a clue’ as a new definition. 

@The Phantom - think of a word that means consequence, and how it could be interpreted in the context of a female sheep switching gender. 

Some one PM'd me the answer and I read the message before checking this notification!

So we'll never know if I would have solved it...