"The best a man can be..."

RIchard Britten

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Its an advert. Adverts need to grab attention and sell something. The rest of the content is mainly fantasy. Well, it’s grabbed attention, it sells razors. Do we have to read a sociopolitical message into it, with fore/present or hindsight?

what are we to make of the messages in wash up liquid, milk tray, old spice or Jimmy Savilles train takes the strain adverts.

everyone is talking about it. Copywriters have succeeded.

do I read the alleged message and get upset, or see it as a cynical selling ploy? Either way it won’t affect my shopping. I buy razors because they work.

19 minutes ago, John Wright said:

Its an advert. Adverts need to grab attention and sell something. The rest of the content is mainly fantasy. Well, it’s grabbed attention, it sells razors. Do we have to read a sociopolitical message into it, with fore/present or hindsight?

what are we to make of the messages in wash up liquid, milk tray, old spice or Jimmy Savilles train takes the strain adverts.

everyone is talking about it. Copywriters have succeeded.

do I read the alleged message and get upset, or see it as a cynical selling ploy? Either way it won’t affect my shopping. I buy razors because they work.

I buy them to kid the wife into thinking I'll shave my beard off... :)

14 minutes ago, John Wright said:

Do I read the alleged message and get upset, or see it as a cynical selling ploy? Either way it won’t affect my shopping. I buy razors because they work.

Quite.

I have used simple Wilkinson Sword razors and Somersets Shaving Oil for about 35 years. I don't see an advert changing my choices now....

Incidentally if you use shaving foam or soap in shaving bowls or whatever I recommend you try shaving oil if you haven't already. Just a couple of drops is all it takes plus you can actually see what you are doing. Cuts are difficult to achieve and razor burns are an impossibility. Try it, a small dispenser is only two to three quid. What's not to like?

21 minutes ago, P.K. said:

Quite.

I have used simple Wilkinson Sword razors and Somersets Shaving Oil for about 35 years. I don't see an advert changing my choices now....

Incidentally if you use shaving foam or soap in shaving bowls or whatever I recommend you try shaving oil if you haven't already. Just a couple of drops is all it takes plus you can actually see what you are doing. Cuts are difficult to achieve and razor burns are an impossibility. Try it, a small dispenser is only two to three quid. What's not to like?

I did but still found that the blades shaved better...

I still haven't watched it. You can't make me. I was being sworn at on a Facebook group for saying I refuse to watch any corporate advertisements, including this one. One of them even accused me of exhibiting toxic masculinity by refusing to watch this, even though I'd made it clear I refuse to watch any and that I have no opinion on the content or any wish to watch it. It's a crazy old world.

Archived