Ramsey Marina

slinkydevil

3 hours ago, Non-Believer said:

I was quoted some figures on this the other day, re. the financing of the marina from the proposed property development alongside. Pie in the sky, unless they're going to sell apartments in Ramsey at @ £1m each, including construction costs.

Agreed. It isn't worth wasting any time protesting against because the whole proposal is absolute nonsense.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, doc.fixit said:

It's a re-run of the Ramsey Marina debacle, almost exactly. The harbourside development was going to pay for the so-called, 'improvements'.

The main difference is that the new proposal's developers are starting with virtually zero finances; and only an alleged previous marina involvement somewhere in West Africa IIRC?

6 hours ago, CallMeCurious said:

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/save-the-bay-calls-for-protection-of-marine-nature-reserve/

It's baaaaack. I love the phrase dredging the bay.... I thought it was about burying the ficking beach under tonnes of concrete effectively destroying a public amenity for private profit.

If this succeeds there will be no beach worthy of the name on the South side of Ramsey between the stone pier and the iron pier. 

I love the phrase "marine nature reserve"

Yea right, its a well known nature reserve. FFS

if some private money wants to build a marina and houses to pay for then let them.

Its not exactly a beauty spot.

We need private money investment at some point to pay for the islands civil service

If we were really bothered about marine life we would outlaw Dredging for queenies and the like which is basically raping the sea floor

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

On 8/5/2021 at 6:39 PM, Boris Johnson said:

I love the phrase "marine nature reserve"

Yea right, its a well known nature reserve. FFS

if some private money wants to build a marina and houses to pay for then let them.

Its not exactly a beauty spot.

We need private money investment at some point to pay for the islands civil service

If we were really bothered about marine life we would outlaw Dredging for queenies and the like which is basically raping the sea floor

This sort of project makes economic sense in the Med. middle of the Irish Sea? Not so sure.

its just got an episode of ‘Abandoned Engineering’ all over it. Either that or it gets started, fails and then hundreds of millions of non existent government pounds have to be poured it to rescue it. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Derek Flint said:

This sort of project makes economic sense in the Med. middle of the Irish Sea? Not so sure.

its just got an episode of ‘Abandoned Engineering’ all over it. Either that or it gets started, fails and then hundreds of millions of non existent government pounds have to be poured it to rescue it. 

Agreed. It's already cost a lot in terms of time and attention that was best spent sorting out other projects

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Derek Flint said:

I am not so sure Derek, the Boaty McBoat Face types I know think it would be very well supported.

In any case, if it ended up half built we have a ready made team that are working on the iron pier that could move over to finish it over the next couple of decades..........................

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Boris Johnson said:

I am not so sure Derek, the Boaty McBoat Face types I know think it would be very well supported.

All niche interest groups on the island think their particular area of interest is 'very well supported'.

See the anoraks that think spending £7.5m on horse trams will bring a tourism renaissance.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

What would the benefit be to Ramsey and the rest of the island? Has there been a financial benefit to Peel and Douglas from the boating brigade? Do they spend any money, other than a meal or two in a restaurant?

I can see that it has improved the North Quay in Douglas by not having an industrial harbour operating there, but I'm not so sure the same effect has been felt in Peel? This leads me to believe that there wouldn't be the huge rush to invest in Ramsey that supporters may believe if the project went ahead. 

9 minutes ago, Max Power said:

What would the benefit be to Ramsey and the rest of the island? Has there been a financial benefit to Peel and Douglas from the boating brigade? Do they spend any money, other than a meal or two in a restaurant?

I can see that it has improved the North Quay in Douglas by not having an industrial harbour operating there, but I'm not so sure the same effect has been felt in Peel? This leads me to believe that there wouldn't be the huge rush to invest in Ramsey that supporters may believe if the project went ahead. 

I think there's definitely been a benefit to Peel with the view of the boats tied up...how much economic benefit is difficult to ascertain, Peel waterfront does well, the pubs and eateries are busy and have been for some years, the atmosphere is good, there's a buzz. But how much of that is down to "the marina" is another question, Peel has always been a good venue for a night out from other towns with pubs and eateries and is relatively well served by public transport, the bus timings for example are good.

Ramsey is a different proposition. The proposed marina would not be a backdrop to the waterfront entertainment (or what's left of it). It's still a working harbour too, with Mezeron assimilating more and more of the quayside, right round to the Queen's Promenade too, the North end of which is now full of shipping containers and parked up machinery and wagons. Would this be the vista that would attract yachties? Mezeron's operations would have to be moved for a start if the marina wanted acceptable surroundings.

Peel's waterfront has also seen acceptable development too, with the conversion of previously working buildings to residential. Ramsey's was doing but stalled some years ago; some is now still being demolished, the quayside is dotted with such sites and closed businesses and pubs (as is the rest of the town), none of which is attractive. The public transport links are sporadic at weekends with long gaps between bus timings and random routes at times back to the West.

It's a chicken and egg situation that will take more than just suspect marina proposals to resolve.

• Like 2

There is a need for industrial waterfront you know. St Helier seems to have got it sorted with seperate area for ferries, fishing and commercial boats and the yachties. Maybe follow that example?

I'm not saying Jersey is better than here! They have sorted the harbour and bus station areas though.