Ramsey Marina

slinkydevil

3 hours ago, Boris Johnson said:

They used to be able to do things with little attention, now every move is questioned. Look at the bloody trees in Onchan for example.

Is that to do with the availability of Social Media though....or is it because the public have been well and truly awakened to the scale and cost of Govt f@ck ups (if not the string pullers behind some of the moves?) and are now questioning everything the Govt does?

The awareness of issues about the Onchan trees for example has almost certainly been brought about over the St Mark's elms debacle. People see the Prom and that raises questions over Govt competence in everything else as well, including fiscal management. They see money being poured into a bottomless Murkeyside pit whilst they haven't got an NHS dentist or queue for a GP appointment. 

That's why they question the Govt.

Social Media is just the medium they use to do it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

Is that to do with the availability of Social Media though....or is it because the public have been well and truly awakened to the scale and cost of Govt f@ck ups (if not the string pullers behind some of the moves?) and are now questioning everything the Govt does?

The awareness of issues about the Onchan trees for example has almost certainly been brought about over the St Mark's elms debacle. People see the Prom and that raises questions over Govt competence in everything else as well, including fiscal management. They see money being poured into a bottomless Murkeyside pit whilst they haven't got an NHS dentist or queue for a GP appointment. 

It used to be the usual nutters writing a stiff letter to the Examiner, which most people couldn't be arsed reading or following up with any action. Then down to the pub to rehearse your rant on the Mannin Line. 

2 hours ago, Non-Believer said:

Totally agree but it is causing the problem that once elected, "independent" MHKs will do nothing to rock the boat for fear of not being re-elected.

This has always been the case on the island and why we are in this state now but it is 10,000% worse now than 15 years ago because of the interwebs and social media.

Call it accountability if you wish but what it really means is nothing that is not popular with the majority of the MHKs electorate  will ever get supported.

Democracy? Yes but not how it should work. 

A simple example,

We need more a lot more income tax income to pay for the islands health service. Can you see any MHKs putting their name to that? 

We need a cull in the CS, again as a block vote who can see any MHK vote for that?

Yo see where I am coming from?

Edited by Boris Johnson
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Major Rushen said:

Had walk along the Douglas Marina…. What a lot of sad dirty boats that are an eyesore.

I doubt weather the DOI or the harbour authorities actually know who the  badly neglected boats belong to , and if they serve notices by  fixing   the removal notices to the  the vessels , I think the responsibility for then actually falls on the DOI , so they wont want to do that , it would cost even more money  , the upper part of Douglas harbour around the tongue  area  looks like a graveyard for derelict pleasure boats , and a disgrace  to see the so called marina  so run down and scruffy 

I am torn on the Marina in Ramsey.

I don’t want to see years of building and the possibility financing fails and it’s left half done.

Flio side is if it had been built ten years ago and was now there and operating I think the town would be a better place as a result.

So the question to me is if the disruption and risk is worth what I think would be long term gain.

Yes it will cabbage the beach a bit.  That beach wasn’t there in anything like the form it is now until the Victorians came along anyway, so without a bit of progress then there would be no queens pier, no harbour side, swing bridge, promenade or stone piers. Progress can be good

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Ramseyboi said:

I am torn on the Marina in Ramsey.

I don’t want to see years of building and the possibility financing fails and it’s left half done.

Flio side is if it had been built ten years ago and was now there and operating I think the town would be a better place as a result.

So the question to me is if the disruption and risk is worth what I think would be long term gain.

Yes it will cabbage the beach a bit.  That beach wasn’t there in anything like the form it is now until the Victorians came along anyway, so without a bit of progress then there would be no queens pier, no harbour side, swing bridge, promenade or stone piers. Progress can be good

It's a fantasy project by get rich quick merchants. Maybe on the south coast of England somewhere - Dorset or Devon but not Ramsey.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

Anyone read the Ramsey Marina wrap on this weeks couriers

"The Marina - putting Ramsey back on the map" ~ What map? The world wide grifters guide to find fresh, gullible marks?

The "Jewel in the Crown" will be a brand new beach....high enough to allow the beach to be used at all but the very highest tides....    already have a beach like that but they want to reclaim it.

Well, sir, there's nothing on earth
Like a genuine, bona fide
400 berth Marina
What'd I say?

Marina
What's it called?
Marina
That's right! Marina

Marina
Marina
Marina

I hear those things are awfully costly
It will be envrionmentally friendly, mostly
Is there a chance the plan could fail before the end?
Not on your life, my gullible friend

What about us brain-dead slobs?
You'll be given cushy jobs
Were you sent here by the Devil?
No, good sir, I'm on the level

The ring came off my pudding can
Take my pen knife, my good man
I swear it's Ramsey's only choice
Throw up your hands and raise your voice

Marina!
What's it called?
Marina!
Once again
Marina!

But Parliment Street's still all cracked and broken
Sorry, Mom, the mob has spoken

Marina!
Marina!
Marina!
Marina!

Mari, d'oh!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

26 minutes ago, CallMeCurious said:

Anyone read the Ramsey Marina wrap on this weeks couriers

"The Marina - putting Ramsey back on the map" ~ What map? The world wide grifters guide to find fresh, gullible marks?

The "Jewel in the Crown" will be a brand new beach....high enough to allow the beach to be used at all but the very highest tides....    already have a beach like that but they want to reclaim it.

Well, sir, there's nothing on earth
Like a genuine, bona fide
400 berth Marina
What'd I say?

Marina
What's it called?
Marina
That's right! Marina

Marina
Marina
Marina

I hear those things are awfully costly
It will be envrionmentally friendly, mostly
Is there a chance the plan could fail before the end?
Not on your life, my gullible friend

What about us brain-dead slobs?
You'll be given cushy jobs
Were you sent here by the Devil?
No, good sir, I'm on the level

The ring came off my pudding can
Take my pen knife, my good man
I swear it's Ramsey's only choice
Throw up your hands and raise your voice

Marina!
What's it called?
Marina!
Once again
Marina!

But Parliment Street's still all cracked and broken
Sorry, Mom, the mob has spoken

Marina!
Marina!
Marina!
Marina!

Mari, d'oh!

I quite like the idea of it to be honest.  If it could appear without the downside of the building phase I don’t see why anyone would have an issue with it?

I do understand why people don’t want five plus years of disruption on their doorsteps though. Even if they did chose to live on those ugly ass buildings that caused the same debate in Ramsey 50 odd years ago

• Like 1

2 hours ago, The Duck of Atholl said:

The marina is a bullshit, time wasting distraction. The grifters in charge of it are just looking to flog on rights, consents and contracts when they have blagged them

You are right and what’s more I am surprised by the silence of the eco warriors led by chief woke warrior Daffy. The area concerned I’m sure will be home of wildlife, and we are told is an area of outstanding beauty. As these absolute hypocritical and  quite frankly so called Enviromental warriors, have such a eco zeal, this idea shouldn’t even get any traction.  The developers whos idea it is needs to be told in no uncertain terms that planning permission will never be granted no matter how much money it is projected to bring to the local economy. 

If this idea gets of the ground then next will be a cruise liner pontoon off the Battery Pier by Douglas Harbour. 

In Ballasalla they are getting a bypass to enable the builders to build on green fields, a not necessary project but favoured by an intellectually challenged MHK.

In Ramsey they are getting a Marina to enable the building of flats and housing near a waterfront ! That's where the money is !

• Like 1
  • Thanks 5

7 hours ago, The Duck of Atholl said:

The marina is a bullshit, time wasting distraction. The grifters in charge of it are just looking to flog on rights, consents and contracts when they have blagged them

Sadly very few people realise this.

• Like 1