Ramsey Marina

slinkydevil

2 minutes ago, McCallig said:

The last time I read such hype for a 'transformational' project was Callow's Yard in Castletown.

And look how well that one turned out.

A lot of people got stiffed on that. Trying to inject boutique shops with big rents into a large village with nothing else to attract the sort of patronage needed to make it viable. Piano bars, galleries, apartment hotel and a micro mall. Wasn't that oo part of a bigger scheme to put Castletowen on the map?  

What is most telling is how quickly this marine development pivots (literally) to counter almost every objection. There is not a lot of depth to this chameleon project, otherwise they'd have foreseen some of the biggest objections they blundered into.

If it were my grand scheme, I'd be welcoming the loudest objectors to sit down and have an honest conversation before paying even more money for the PR. At best this feels like a sketch scheme with no real substance to it. 

At a guess, the survey of ground conditions, detailed design and all of the planning, building regs etc. would take at least 2 years once you have a finished plan. They are nowhere near a finished plan. if they were the flythrough video would take you inside the buildings and along the jetties but instead you get a series of fast swoops and pretty random viewpoints.

4 minutes ago, Ramseyboi said:

Isn't there a motion in Tynwald on Tuesday from Mr Hooper that should leave this dead in the water?

Here it is:

21. Protection of Marine Nature Reserves

The Hon. Member for Ramsey (Mr Hooper) to move –

That Tynwald is of the opinion that due to the importance of our Biosphere, the commitments in the Isle of Man Government Biosphere Strategy and statutory obligations placed on public bodies in the Climate Change Act and the Climate Change Plan in relation to the UN Sustainable Development Goals, sustainable development and protecting and enhancing biodiversity, ecosystems and ecosystem services:

1) no development should be undertaken in Marine Nature Reserves and as such the Department of Infrastructure should immediately end the current process investigating the development of a private marina in the Ramsey Bay Marine Nature Reserve; and

2) the Harbours Strategy [GD 2018/0011] should be updated to re-allocate funding away from development of a cruise berth in Douglas and towards harbours regeneration and improvement in all harbours identified in the Harbours Strategy.

Hopefully this will tackle the potential problem of civil servants making deals behind politicians backs and then claiming that they 'have' to go ahead.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, Max Power said:

How are Douglas and Ramsey bays marine nature reserves? Both have working industrial harbours adjacent.

Hoopers motion sets a dangerous precedent in that any development anywhere, can be quashed on biosphere grounds, as far as I can see! 

I think we all know that all this developer is interested in is building expensive houses/apartments then buggering off before any marina is built

1 minute ago, Max Power said:

How are Douglas and Ramsey bays marine nature reserves? Both have working industrial harbours adjacent.

Hoopers motion sets a dangerous precedent in that any development anywhere, can be quashed on biosphere grounds, as far as I can see! 

Up by the Queen's Pier there's a big notice board with a map showing the designated areas of the Ramsey bay area with a legend of the supposed marine life and where it's to be found within those areas. From memory, lots of it is this fabled eelgrass.

Precisely what else survived the years of scallop dredging that some say reduced the seabed to a gravel wasteland is open to debate but if some sort of recovery can be put in place, so much the better.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Peter Layman said:

I think we all know that all this developer is interested in is building expensive houses/apartments then buggering off before any marina is built

100% agree with you ( and that’s probably the first time!)

Charlatans the lot of them, there maybe a cinema there maybe this that and the other. 

If there is demand for a cinema in Ramsey you don’t need a Marina to provide it.

50 minutes ago, Max Power said:

Because you can still have a working harbour and a Marine Nature Reserve alongside each other.  It's mainly about restricting fishing:

There are a number of marine protected areas in Isle of Man territorial waters, including Marine Nature Reserves (MNRs), scallop fishery closed areas, experimental areas etc. Areas previously listed as closed, restricted or conservation zones were designated as Marine Nature Reserves from 1st September 2018. Commercial mobile fishing gear, e.g. dredges, trawls etc., will continue to be restricted in these areas. Static fishing gear (pots) are allowed, except in eel grass conservation zones, and, as before, in the relevant existing areas of Ramsey Bay MNR. Please see MNR Questions & Answers, the individual MNR pages and relevant legislation for further information.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

51 minutes ago, Max Power said:

We don't.

Build the Marina first? 

I think there is more chance of the proposed development on the former bus station site, getting built, all the units let and it including a cinema, than than the Ramsey Marina ever coming to fruition. 

I think that it is a toxic mixture of both civil servants acting beyond their remit, and politicos who like to have a slice of the action, photo opportunity! 

2 hours ago, Max Power said:

We don't.

Build the Marina first? 

Approximately 40% of the reclaimed area will be developed and mixed residential and commercial properties will be built in keeping with the Ramsey Urban Conservation Zone. The profits from the sale of such properties will be used to subsidise the costs of building the marina.

From their website... so no they won't be building the marina first.

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, 2112 said:

I think there is more chance of the proposed development on the former bus station site, getting built, all the units let and it including a cinema, than than the Ramsey Marina ever coming to fruition. 

I think that it is a toxic mixture of both civil servants acting beyond their remit, and politicos who like to have a slice of the action, photo opportunity! 

Along with the classic projects as the Jurby Airships, Bride Holiday Camp and the Manx Film Industry. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

9 minutes ago, CallMeCurious said:

Approximately 40% of the reclaimed area will be developed and mixed residential and commercial properties will be built in keeping with the Ramsey Urban Conservation Zone. The profits from the sale of such properties will be used to subsidise the costs of building the marina.

From their website... so no they won't be building the marina first.

That settles that then.

• Like 1