Ramsey Marina

slinkydevil

6 hours ago, Donald Trumps said:

Yachts aren't likely to hang around waiting for a 2.45am tide

They'll be moored up somewhere else & everyone asleep after an evening in the pub

Why would they hang around until 2.45am if they could berth at any state of tide?

• Like 2

4 hours ago, monasqueen said:

I heard it being claimed that income from this proposal would be in the region of £1m per year.

The construction costs must be mega millions, so surely the payback will take too many years for it to be viable.

Another problem seems to be that it will leave a seaside town without a seaside?

Where will locals and visitors have to go to find a beach?

That figure was claimed as additional GDP for the town not what monies the Marina/property's may generate.

• Like 1

All the experts on marine subjects and everything else will now be shoving their oar to sabotage this idea.    You would never believe the amount of experts on everything under the sun who reside on this Island, unless you listen to talking heads, even Hooper has doubts about some tidal issue I thought he was an accountant not a maritime expert.    Do you not think before putting forward a plan of this magnitude experts, proper experts, would not have been consulted?   What a lot of knowalls, what they do not know they make up it is ludicrous that they are given any credence.

By the time DEFA and its army of eco-graduates have finished doing an impact assessment on the area the scheme will be dead in the water (scuse pun).

Their previous assessment of Ramsey Harbour was one of the reasons (apart from Wilf) that the original marina scheme didn't go ahead. By the time that they'd finished finding 3 varieties of 4-lunged, one testicled ragworm in the harbour, tenuously existing nowhere else on the planet, it was one of the further obstacles to its development.

Although said vulnerable species don't seem to object to being dredged regularly by a JCB.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, hissingsid said:

All the experts on marine subjects and everything else will now be shoving their oar to sabotage this idea.    You would never believe the amount of experts on everything under the sun who reside on this Island, unless you listen to talking heads, even Hooper has doubts about some tidal issue I thought he was an accountant not a maritime expert.    Do you not think before putting forward a plan of this magnitude experts, proper experts, would not have been consulted?   What a lot of knowalls, what they do not know they make up it is ludicrous that they are given any credence.

In all fairness Sid, I would think not.:(

20 minutes ago, Twitch said:
1 hour ago, dilligaf said:

In all fairness Sid, I would think not.:(

Having looked at the website it would seem that they have consulted experts before announcing this proposal. Becket Rankine are one of the UK's leading marine engineering consultants. 

I was assuming that we were talking about wildlife, marine life and tidal "experts" here, but Fairy Nuff.

16 minutes ago, Uhtred said:

This will never happen. 

With the greatest of respect, is not that an answer to the wrong question?  (I happen to agree with your answer, but not the question).

Should not the question be something along the lines of;

Should the Isle of Man, being located in the geographical centre of the Irish sea, have at least one, 24 hour, up to date, marine facility?

2 minutes ago, Manximus Aururaneus said:

With the greatest of respect, is not that an answer to the wrong question?  (I happen to agree with your answer, but not the question).

Should not the question be something along the lines of;

Should the Isle of Man, being located in the geographical centre of the Irish sea, have at least one, 24 hour, up to date, marine facility?

I would have to say no to that. Anyone sailing from England to Ireland could do it in a short hop. Why would they want to come here and pay more for berthing ?

1 minute ago, dilligaf said:

I would have to say no to that. Anyone sailing from England to Ireland could do it in a short hop. Why would they want to come here and pay more for berthing ?

As stated earlier in the thread, as a single boat, we have handed over £60,000 in berthing fees to the West Coast of Scotland since 2013 - We would (along with many others) prefer to give it to IOM - but if IOM doesn't want it (along with all money spent in shops, pubs, restaurants, service facilities) then fair enough.............

4 minutes ago, Manximus Aururaneus said:

As stated earlier in the thread, as a single boat, we have handed over £60,000 in berthing fees to the West Coast of Scotland since 2013 - We would (along with many others) prefer to give it to IOM - but if IOM doesn't want it (along with all money spent in shops, pubs, restaurants, service facilities) then fair enough.............

If it is costing you £200 per week to have a "boat", I would change your hobby. You are either silly or not being too truthful.

Just a couple of points here. Firstly, as "Balladoc" has previously posted, the background photograph to the artist's impression is way out of date. Having enlarged and peered at it a bit, I'd suggest that it appears to date to the early seventies when much of South Ramsey still lay in demolition ruins; none of the recent development since then appears to be shown or to have any consideration.

Secondly, IF the Queen's Pier is to form "part" of this development with the proposed "replacement" landing head extending north at the end (like the old one that was demolished in 1991?), what consideration has been given to the ongoing private refurbishment of the pier? They are currently working on the initial 20m section and have been for the last 2 years. There are almost 80 further sections before the end.

• Like 1