Liam Neeson racism controversy

TheTeapot

I see Liam Neeson has made the news for talking about wanting to kill a random black person in response to a rape of a friend. Before he gets shot and all evidence of him is wiped from the net for talking here is an interview from a few years back.

too many people are getting hung out based on what they said years ago or views they had years ago, times change as do opinions,  if you slag off someone from the next village these days you're a racist, long gone are the days when you could call a spade a spade.

12 hours ago, dilligaf said:

Crazy that so much is taken out of context.

Who on here would not have felt like he did. FFS, Give the guy a break.

I would have felt angry but I wouldn't have gone out and looked to beat up random people based on their race as a result. 

I do think that the reaction to the comments is OTT. We talking about a young man's reaction 40 years ago, a young man who'd grown up in Northern Ireland where retribution was dished out to people for sharing the same social group as a transgressor. His actions were wrong and can't be excused, had he been caught at the time he should have been punished.

But he learned from the experience and it changed his attitude. The reaction seems to be saying there's no hope for redemption or growth, that no one can mend their ways. A racist in their twenties will inevitably be a racist in their sixties.  

32 minutes ago, Declan said:

I would have felt angry but I wouldn't have gone out and looked to beat up random people based on their race as a result. 

I do think that the reaction to the comments is OTT. We talking about a young man's reaction 40 years ago, a young man who'd grown up in Northern Ireland where retribution was dished out to people for sharing the same social group as a transgressor. His actions were wrong and can't be excused, had he been caught at the time he should have been punished.

But he learned from the experience and it changed his attitude. The reaction seems to be saying there's no hope for redemption or growth, that no one can mend their ways. A racist in their twenties will inevitably be a racist in their sixties.  

I agree.

I think most of us would feel anger and want revenge, but not take it beyond that.

2 hours ago, WTF said:

too many people are getting hung out based on what they said years ago or views they had years ago, times change as do opinions,  if you slag off someone from the next village these days you're a racist, long gone are the days when you could call a spade a spade.

You might have thought about using a different metaphor.

It happened 40 years ago. In that time he has become an a list celeb who I'm sure has worked with numerous black actors if he was truly racist I'm sure stories would have came out about him treating black people differently. 

People like piers morgan trying to take the moral high ground makes me sick. Liam Neeson had a thought 40 years by luck or judgement he didnt act on it and realised it was wrong and was ashamed of his actions. He then went on and has had a successful life. 

Piers morgan comes from that angle of the gutter press which he represents. Most of which he says is racist or sexist but that doesn't stop him from overreacting to blatant sexism or racism to somehow prove that he isn't. 

John barnes had some wise words on this issue yesterday, all overreactions like this only serve to shut down debate and prolong racism. 

That's political correctness for you.

20 minutes ago, the stinking enigma said:

Piers morgan comes from that angle of the gutter press which he represents. Most of which he says is racist or sexist but that doesn't stop him from overreacting to blatant sexism or racism to somehow prove that he isn't. 

John barnes had some wise words on this issue yesterday, all overreactions like this only serve to shut down debate and prolong racism. 

That's political correctness for you.

And I believe piers Morgan was telling John barnes how he should feel and if Morgan was black how he would feel. He seemed to miss the fact that barnes is in fact black

13 minutes ago, thommo2010 said:

And I believe piers Morgan was telling John barnes how he should feel and if Morgan was black how he would feel. He seemed to miss the fact that barnes is in fact black

Piers Morgan should not be listened to

Archived