Advertising agency standards

hissingsid

1 hour ago, hissingsid said:

The above have apparently stated that smart meters have been wrongly sold as money saving, interesting, hope our politicians read about this before forcing them on us, unless they have already bought a job lot cheap !!!!   Information from today's Daily Wail.

Do you mean Advertising Standards Agency?

Problem is manufacture of old fashioned old style meters is being phased out. There are only smart meters on offer.

Just don’t suggest they’ll save you utility bills

It's quite interesting.  Last month I received notification from our electricity supplier that our bill for next year would be a projected £100 higher than last year.  They offered e a fixed rate for two years that would reduce this by £50 per year it only if I agreed to have a smart meter installed. I did no.

2 hours ago, Stu Peters said:

Advertising Standards Authority maybe? No agency involved.

Indeed, according to the Mail,  it appears to be the ASA censuring a particular ad - though the implication is that smart meters are not the money savers it is claimed:

The official body encouraging people to install smart meters has been condemned for misleading households about savings on energy use.

Smart Energy GB ran a radio commercial that boasted households would make an average annual energy saving equivalent to 354 kilowatt hours (kWh).

The implication was that this would also feed through to substantial savings on the cost of heat, light and cooking

However, in a ruling published today, the Advertising Standards Authority (ASA) said this was misleading because the meters themselves do not deliver any reduction.

The only saving occurs if households change the way they live - and cut down on electricity and gas - once they can see how much they are using after a smart meter has been installed.

• 4 years later...
17 minutes ago, Fred the shred said:

I was only thinking the other day it has gone quiet on the smart meter front , are they still being installed?

I had mine installed about a month ago and downloaded the app to monitor it, all knobs, bells and whistles.

Yes, I can see where the consumption is now, but I can't do anything about it. The usage spikes if I boil the kettle or use the oven or use the washing machine once a week. But it doesn't help me reduce use because I was always pretty prudent about it anyway and it's what I regard as essential use.

I could actually see this causing worry in some heads because they will cut their use in trying to reduce the consumption that they can now see in real time.

One thing I haven't worked out is the increase in consumption around 2am most days, unless it's the fridge/freezer kicking in. But it's fun trying to keep my bill below the MUA's estimated billing graph.

• Like 3

59 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

I could actually see this causing worry in some heads because they will cut their use in trying to reduce the consumption that they can now see in real time.

It’s already happening. An elderly relative of mine had one put in about 6 months ago. She’s already turning off everything at night panicking about the electricity being used. Half the time in the day only the fridge is on using power. It’s a simply awful way of bullying people into the eco agenda. No doubt as it gets colder we’ll be arguing to make sure the electric blanket is used and the heating is on despite the obsession with looking at the meter every few hours worrying about how much power will been used. 

• Like 4

but what people dont understand is the cost of installing a smart meter in every home and business on the isle of man is not far off the uquivalent  cost   of  installing 5 wind turbines somewhere on this Island , so which is the most important 

it should be all about getting the priorities right not the nice to haves !

13 minutes ago, Omobono said:

but what people dont understand is the cost of installing a smart meter in every home and business on the isle of man is not far off the uquivalent  cost   of  installing 5 wind turbines somewhere on this Island , so which is the most important 

it should be all about getting the priorities right not the nice to haves !

Energy is a valuable resource that is poorly managed , smart meters reduce energy waste and enable energy management of the whole grid, the savings will significantly reduce the required base load and likely exceed the increased capacity of these 5 turbines., surely this is the sort of thing that even the most idiotic anti-woke bedwetter could not disagree with, but....

33 minutes ago, HiVibes said:

Energy is a valuable resource that is poorly managed , smart meters reduce energy waste and enable energy management of the whole grid

how does a smart meter that shows me what energy i'm using make me reduce the amount of energy i use?   i don't believe i have anything turned on unnecessarily.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, WTF said:

how does a smart meter that shows me what energy i'm using make me reduce the amount of energy i use?   i don't believe i have anything turned on unnecessarily.

I heard a theory that the Smart Meter allows our lizard overlords to switch off our appliances remotely!   Smart, eh?