Advertising agency standards

hissingsid

3 hours ago, Fred the shred said:

Yes I believe control will be absolute it will be a red warning then flick you will be cut off, possibly with a reconnection fee to boot.  It will be the poorest in our society that will suffer as per usual.

More likely if the grid is at capacity it would be used to ensure a fair distribution of power ensuring all households have enough for basic needs. 

I totally get what you're saying about smart meters. It's frustrating when things are marketed as money-savers, and it turns out not to be the case. My experience has been mixed. I expected to save big, but it hasn't happened yet. However, using marketing project management tools helps me to save and spend my budget in a better way. So, there always are options.

Edited by MarlonVaremez

20 hours ago, Fred the shred said:

Yes I believe control will be absolute it will be a red warning then flick you will be cut off, possibly with a reconnection fee to boot.  It will be the poorest in our society that will suffer as per usual.

Electricity power switch companies are fair game in the UK at the moment fir compensation claims. I’d imagine at some stage that the power companies will have mass claims or class actions for misleading benefits or undisclosed costs associated with smart meters too. 

On 10/23/2023 at 10:26 AM, Omobono said:

but what people dont understand is the cost of installing a smart meter in every home and business on the isle of man is not far off the uquivalent  cost   of  installing 5 wind turbines somewhere on this Island , so which is the most important 

it should be all about getting the priorities right not the nice to haves !

Electricity is the world's most perishable object: it needs to be used at literally, precisely, the same time as it is produced.

Consequently, smart meters are a natural consequence of solar and wind energy. This is because solar and wind energy is very intermittent: solar panels and wind turbines produce electricity at different times (obviously changes within the day, but also changes over the year between season).

Consequently, if you want intermittent production of electricity, then you obviously also require intermittent consumption of electricity. You need to tell the electric cars (and storage batteries and washing machines and so on) to suck up electricity when there is a surplus of electricity, and to draw less electricity when there is deficit of electricity. This is where smart meters come in: they can support variable pricing and variable demand.

This isn't my preferred electrical system (I'd just have preferred to put extra connectors into the UK and connect to their nuclear-based electricity) but this is what the people of the Isle of Man voted for, so this is what we're getting.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, Josem said:

Electricity is the world's most perishable object: it needs to be used at literally, precisely, the same time as it is produced.

batteries  ?????    they store electricity for use when you require it .  

Edited by WTF
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, WTF said:

batteries  ?????    they store electricity for use when you require it .  

No: Batteries are quite literally trivial compared to the challenges that apply here. The biggest battery in the UK is currently under construction, at the cost of over £11 million.... and would be big enough to power the Isle of Man for less than ten minutes. Obviously, batteries are not a relevant back-up for solar and wind energy, since both can have production gaps of more than ten minutes.

See more info on this here: https://michaeljosem.com/the-biggest-battery-in-the-uk-is-coming-online/

Batteries are just entirely the wrong order of magnitude for this problem.

5 hours ago, Josem said:

Consequently, smart meters are a natural consequence of solar and wind energy. This is because solar and wind energy is very intermittent: solar panels and wind turbines produce electricity at different times (obviously changes within the day, but also changes over the year between season).

Consequently, if you want intermittent production of electricity, then you obviously also require intermittent consumption of electricity. You need to tell the electric cars (and storage batteries and washing machines and so on) to suck up electricity when there is a surplus of electricity, and to draw less electricity when there is deficit of electricity. This is where smart meters come in: they can support variable pricing and variable demand.

This isn't my preferred electrical system (I'd just have preferred to put extra connectors into the UK and connect to their nuclear-based electricity) but this is what the people of the Isle of Man voted for, so this is what we're getting.

Apart from the bit about immediate vonsumptoon (batteries) I agree re the connector to use UK generated electricity.  

16 minutes ago, Josem said:

Batteries are just entirely the wrong order of magnitude for this problem.

Although still in its relative infancy, Pumped Thermal Energy Storage looks fairly promising. Not the greatest conversion efficiency - yet - but it's already one of the lowest cost and most scalable options, and it doesn't require any specific geological features.

• Like 1

Well, I've just completed the online survey emailed to me by the MUA in respect of my smart-meter installation. Basically, it goes along the lines of:

Is it installed? Yes.

Was the installation according to plan etc? Yes.

Have I downloaded the App? Yes.

Do I use the App functions? Yes.

Is the meter installation and the App useful in respect of saving electricity? No (please see previous post).

Can I get my share of the £20M back now please?