Promenade - Megathread

slinkydevil

2 minutes ago, Gizo said:

Add the Peel road cock up, the continued Gansey road debacle, Richmond Hill, third world road from 4rds through PSM. Whoever is in charge of roads should be sacked on the spot. 

Judging by the poor standards/planning, it'll be difficult sacking the primary school child that is overseeing this...

I've walked the length of the Prom this morning, and the only work being done anywhere, is by Stephen Christian's men and machines, who are rapidly breaking up more and more of the old surface, at both ends. Other than them, there are a handful, I mean four or five blokes, generally just wandering about, but doing nothing constructive, and certainly making no progress to getting any of the closed sections reinstated.

There is something badly wrong with this project. It must be slipping further and further behind schedule, each week. Businesses are being disrupted for months longer than envisaged, and we are being told nothing. It is starting to look like the Department of Incompetence's biggest ever cock-up, and that is saying something.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Dave Hedgehog said:

Blimey. There are a fair few cracks in the new red bit. Time for our Rob to table a question in the house I reckon. 

Contractor: Wait, you never told us cars, buses and lorries would also be driving on the red bits, you told us it was just horse trams. That's a whole different specification of concrete. You need the more expensive blue stuff for that.

DoI: Erm….

Taxpayer: Ah, for fucks sake, NOT AGAIN! 

Edited by b4mbi
  • Like 1

They've stopped work on reinstating the road until they work out what to do about the cracking concrete. 

My money is on them having just used standard concrete but rails expand and contract in heat. The new train tracks have no expansion gaps and it's pushed up on the new concrete and hey presto CRACK! 

They should rip up all the track and concrete and just lay tarmac with no track. 

1 hour ago, On The Bus said:

They've stopped work on reinstating the road until they work out what to do about the cracking concrete. 

My money is on them having just used standard concrete but rails expand and contract in heat. The new train tracks have no expansion gaps and it's pushed up on the new concrete and hey presto CRACK! 

They should rip up all the track and concrete and just lay tarmac with no track. 

As they don't appear to be going all the way to the sea terminal now they may as well rip them out. Either that or put the feckin things on the prom side and off the road altogether

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/8/2019 at 3:47 PM, the stinking enigma said:

The old boys years ago used to build kind of a dam around newly poured concrete and keep it under water for 3 or 4 weeks. This is what happens when it dries off too quickly.

So is this going to add to the 3 / 5 / 8 / 10 year contract to re-develop the prom ?

On 7/8/2019 at 2:16 PM, On The Bus said:

This..also the various other materials also have a different expansion and contraction level. Yes the tracks are welded together and were set directly onto the concrete pad. 

I see now over the last week or so the track not concreted yet has been lifted around 18mm and it looks like pads put in and different bolts. Not sure they still know if it will

work or not .