Promenade - Megathread

slinkydevil

13 minutes ago, WTF said:

the prom will drain into the hotel basements instead of to the beach, good thinking.

Well if the last decade has taught us anything, it's that the DoI hasn't really grasped the idea that water runs downhill.

(Or if they have they probably think that water is the MUA's responsibility and so they don't need to take it into consideration).

• Haha 4

26 minutes ago, thesultanofsheight said:

There’s a plan? Please do tell? 

The plan is to redevelop the whole prom, including demolition of the seafront hotels which are now much lower than the new tramlines. These will be rebuilt higher at Govt's cost and rented out to operators as part of the IoM's post VAT economy to accommodate the many thousands of TT fans who will attend the rescheduled TT just announced.

2 hours ago, finlo said:

The tramlines are now higher than the pavements!

Short memories here. They always were. Drained both sides like every other fucking road. I could never have imagined the amount of shite posted about a road refurb.

You all laughed at Paul about his flat earth, but you are even worse. FFS, get a life and look at the rubbish you are posting about the prom.

6 hours ago, Roger Mexico said:

Well if the last decade has taught us anything, it's that the DoI hasn't really grasped the idea that water runs downhill.

(Or if they have they probably think that water is the MUA's responsibility and so they don't need to take it into consideration).

I think it's MNH's responsibility!

When do we think the first proper overtopping will be?

the one that washes away all the fencing, deposits tonnes of pebbles in their lovely big holes, and lifts all the temporary road surfaces while washing away all the supplies they have on site.

how long until those things that are covering the track outside the Castle Mona end up through a hotel window or rammed into someone’s car.

its going to be a fun winter.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, dilligaf said:

Short memories here. They always were. Drained both sides like every other fucking road. I could never have imagined the amount of shite posted about a road refurb.

You all laughed at Paul about his flat earth, but you are even worse. FFS, get a life and look at the rubbish you are posting about the prom.

Go down the portion and look at how they are relaying it. Especially outside the Methodist church you can clearly see the new road surface will end up higher than the pavement. It's almost level now and it still has a couple of inches to go to meet up with the red concrete. This is before they fit the rail on the sea side of the prom.

Edited by Ham_N_Eggs

25 minutes ago, Ham_N_Eggs said:

Go down the portion and look at how they are relaying it. Especially outside the Methodist church you can clearly see the new road surface will end up higher than the pavement. It's almost level now and it still has a couple of inches to go to meet up with the red concrete. This is before they fit the rail on the sea side of the prom.

There must be methodist in the madness for this. Could be they think with the road slightly higher than the pavement

will form some sort of sea barrier. 

May be the same thinking as with Laxey, cut a hole in the wall, put a harris fence up and that will stop any flooding.                                                                                                                                                               

Edited by Holte End
  • Haha 2

I had a drive through yesterday. The elevation of the centre does seem awfully high. I take it there won’t be any parking on the landward side of the road in future in the double track sector? The space to pass between a parked car and a tram seems very tight.

I also noticed that the pink dye in the concrete at the sea terminal end seems to be a bit washed out.

I am sure it will all be fine in the end though - they’ve got this!

8 hours ago, dilligaf said:

Excellent, no need to panic now, dilli says it's all right... :whistling:

• Like 1

Anyone else pick up on this report that penalty clauses have been removed on this contract. That could really come back to haunt DOI if anything like suggested above kicks in ..re levels etc I agree they have never looked right as the build up has progressed but what do the general public know ....mmmm increasingly it seems more than the powers that be it would seem..scary really . Maybe as a stakeholder .ie tax payer it's clear why that's  the case and as DOI and staff at the top etc never seem accountable they just don't care 

Edited by Numbnuts

1 hour ago, Derek Flint said:

I also noticed that the pink dye in the concrete at the sea terminal end seems to be a bit washed out.

I am sure it will all be fine in the end though - they’ve got this!

The dye always washes out over time as it's a additive . Shouldn't have been noticeable this soon though . But in the big picture least of the problems I'd say 

If anyone wants to see what the red concrete will look like in a couple of years take a spin through the McDonalds drive thru. They have the same stuff and it looks terrible. 

Probably nothing to worry about though as given the number of cracks I'm sure they will be digging it all up and replacing with something else soon enough

• Thanks 1