Promenade - Megathread

slinkydevil

29 minutes ago, Andy Onchan said:

Correction (according to Hansard).

What’s the betting it’ll not be open before TT 2022? By which time we will have coped without Liverpool or Birkenhead for 3 winters and one summer, proving conclusively that we don’t need a £38m+ facility on the Mersey

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

Just now, John Wright said:

Will the airport radar be signed off and fully functional before either of them?

I believe that it was quietly signed off, sans fanfare, about six months ago? Somebody posted on MF. Whether it's fully functional though might be another question?

4 hours ago, x-in-man said:

The penalty clauses for that bloody radar where massive, we have basically got it for free so I was told.

One "could" read a lot into that.

It was new technology at the time of its inception ("new and edgy" quoth P. Gawne under Tynwald questioning over its lack of progress, even back then). The manufacturer (Selex?) may have got it working well enough to get it signed off and then washed their hands of it (hence penalty clauses/"getting it for nothing"), leaving us with an early-production or even prototype one-off.

It may not auger well for either future maintenance or lifespan.

Edited by Non-Believer
Typo
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Non-Believer said:

One "could" read a lot into that.

It was new technology at the time of its inception (" new and edgy" quoth P. Gawne under Tynwald questioning over its lack of progress, even back then). The manufacturer (Selex?) may have got it working well enough to get it signed off and then washed their hands of it (hence penalty clauses/"getting it for nothing"), leaving us with an early-production or even prototype one-off.

It may not auger well for either future maintenance or lifespan.

Agree totally. Good luck getting them back if anything goes wrong..and it will...typical going out on a limb with new untested technology . This and the cabbage train just goes to show how adapt the powers that be are at wasting money and breaking project finish times or not even finishing at all . 

Never let it be forgotten that this was originally David Cretney's brain fart too. Duly passed on to Gawne and Lord alone knows how many other people in the department have had their fingers in it. All deniable/unaccountable of course.

47 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

Never let it be forgotten that this was originally David Cretney's brain fart too. Duly passed on to Gawne and Lord alone knows how many other people in the department have had their fingers in it. All deniable/unaccountable of course.

I wouldn't lay the blame entirely at Crethey's door. If my memory serves me right (and often it does not) his original idea was moving the horse trams off the road but more importantly working on one block at a time.  In fact I think the bit with the Jubilee clock was actually the start of his idea? It's just that Ministers were shifted around, Tynwald came and went....

Gawne... I'd lay most of the blame at his door - he was the one that was so adamant that the bloody horse trams must be saved. A decision that has cost the taxpayer over £10m in capital costs alone and continues to saddle us with losses exceeding £650k each year. 

Man of the Moment - Ray Harmer Esq. is also to blame, it was political grandstanding that resulted in the scheme being rushed through without proper prior planning being in place. He should resign. Now the scheme is underway it's in the hands of the civil servants, a political resignation would have zero impact now.

• Like 1