Promenade - Megathread

slinkydevil

4 hours ago, Non-Believer said:

Further delays announced for promenade. (iomtoday). On account of plans to call a temporary halt during next tourist season to minimise effects on traders.

If we've got any left by then. Traders that is. And tourists.

It will be more shocking if ever they are able to announce they are on programme. It’s becoming farcical now.

news of never intending to work on pavements countered nicely by artist impressions of new pavements

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Andy Onchan said:

I'm off-island at the moment, so can anyone tell me if any part of the prom road, even a 10 meter section has been completed as planned, ie from one side of the road to the opposite side?

Not even close . A friend who's heavily involved with it when I asked him what % has in his opinion been done up to now (3 weeks ago) replied 20 % approx so there you go ! It's still random right across the length with nothing finished across any area .

Just now, Andy Onchan said:

They truly are a bunch of morons, including the Minister.

So  effectively, they are no further on then when they started.

Is it the old adage of Lions led by Donkeys?

1 minute ago, Non-Believer said:

Is it the old adage of Lions led by Donkeys?

So they've dug up the whole length of the prom and pissed everyone off who either uses it or relies on it's existence to earn a crust.  Well done guys and gals.

Earlier in this thread I questioned why DoI weren't going to upgrade the prom a section-at-a-time; complete one section and then move on to the next. That way there would be tangible evidence of staged completion and the only people that would be inconvenienced would those where the action was taking place. But some on here poo-pooed the idea. The real reason as we now know is because the trams took precedence over everything else. 

What we have right now is a complete cluster fuck. 

The Minister should walk.

1 hour ago, Andy Onchan said:

So they've dug up the whole length of the prom and pissed everyone off who either uses it or relies on it's existence to earn a crust.  Well done guys and gals.

Earlier in this thread I questioned why DoI weren't going to upgrade the prom a section-at-a-time; complete one section and then move on to the next. That way there would be tangible evidence of staged completion and the only people that would be inconvenienced would those where the action was taking place. But some on here poo-pooed the idea. The real reason as we now know is because the trams took precedence over everything else. 

What we have right now is a complete cluster fuck. 

The Minister should walk.

Minister is but 25% to blame IMHO (and I'm not related :lol: ). He's but the figurehead, the mouthpiece they wheel out as and when required.

The people who need to walk (and that is WALK, not be promoted or moved sideways) are Black, Robinson, Longworth and maybe some more of the nine-odd highly paid but now provenly incompetent names previously posted on this thread. The same names who came up with tenuous justification for the promenade even needing to be done in the first instance, voids, risk to life, blah blah. The same names who failed to plan the work properly (apart from pretty CGI of the Sefton) or apparently allow for the contingencies that were patently obvious, such as uncharted services.

Maybe some of the people responsible for the recruitment of these individuals could also be taking a good look at themselves.

ETA. The DOI should have been broken up into smaller, manageable, accountable units many moons ago. As any number of people have suggested.

Edited by Non-Believer
Extra bit
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

Minister is but 25% to blame IMHO (and I'm not related :lol: ). He's but the figurehead, the mouthpiece they wheel out as and when required.

The people who need to walk (and that is WALK, not be promoted or moved sideways) are Black, Robinson, Longworth and maybe some more of the nine-odd highly paid but now provenly incompetent names previously posted on this thread. The same names who came up with tenuous justification for the promenade even needing to be done in the first instance, voids, risk to life, blah blah. The same names who failed to plan the work properly (apart from pretty CGI of the Sefton) or apparently allow for the contingencies that were patently obvious, such as uncharted services.

Maybe some of the people responsible for the recruitment of these individuals could also be taking a good look at themselves.

Both Harmer and Black should fall on their respective swords. It's a colossal fail, at both political and executive level.

• Like 4

The Minister carries his fair share of blame in all of this mess. 

After all it was a 'political decision' that the scheme was originally scheduled to be complete 'before the next election' when all the contractors were saying it would realistically be a 3.5 year scheme, but to hurry it along it was decided to dig up the entire stretch of Prom and that has since fallen flat on it's arse. 

Those responsible for forcing through the horse trams as a priority also have a share of the blame and should leave government employment forthwith. 

• Like 2

Latest I've just heard is that the results of the consultation with stakeholders ,business,shops etc on Prom , delayed already a few times is now happening on December 16th. Presumably this will be the latest revised program of works , including ceasing next summer , will be revealed . Interesting meeting I'm sure and with it a new revised finish date I'm presuming . My guess is March 2022 in time for for the season . Yes I know that's a massive increase on October 2020 but let's be realistic right !! Wonder when the increased cost will be slipped into the equation ?? 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Numbnuts said:

Latest I've just heard is that the results of the consultation with stakeholders ,business,shops etc on Prom , delayed already a few times is now happening on December 16th. Presumably this will be the latest revised program of works , including ceasing next summer , will be revealed . Interesting meeting I'm sure and with it a new revised finish date I'm presuming . My guess is March 2022 in time for for the season . Yes I know that's a massive increase on October 2020 but let's be realistic right !! Wonder when the increased cost will be slipped into the equation ?? 

March 2022 sounds about right. 

My guess is work will stop in March 2020. Start again in November 2020 - March 2021 / November 2021 - March 2022

I'm also told that the DOI/Transport have been massively resisting calls for the horse trams to be suspended in full until the scheme is complete, after the idea was put forward by Chris Robertshaw MHK following his role in sitting on the Environment and Infrastructure Policy Review Committee. 

As someone who has sat through the hearings in their entirety and hearing about the unforgivable disruption to businesses based on the promenade, you would think they views of Mr Robertshaw would be given more weight. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, foxdaleliberationfront said:

March 2022 sounds about right. 

My guess is work will stop in March 2020. Start again in November 2020 - March 2021 / November 2021 - March 2022

I'm also told that the DOI/Transport have been massively resisting calls for the horse trams to be suspended in full until the scheme is complete, after the idea was put forward by Chris Robertshaw MHK following his role in sitting on the Environment and Infrastructure Policy Review Committee. 

As someone who has sat through the hearings in their entirety and hearing about the unforgivable disruption to businesses based on the promenade, you would think they views of Mr Robertshaw would be given more weight. 

My thinking also . There not stopping the Horse Trams but yes they should and I actually like them . This whole story has got lots of mileage in it yet with not much good news seemingly around. I do think though they will be up and running in beginning of October not November .  

Edited by Numbnuts
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Numbnuts said:

My thinking also . There not stopping the Horse Trams but yes they should and I actually like them . This whole story has got lots of mileage in it yet with not much good news seemingly around. I do think though they will be up and running in beginning of October not November .  

The story that DOI are seemingly hoping to spin on this is that it will reduce disruption to hotels, throw in some other spurious claims about the scheme, and continue to allow the Isle of Man's No.1 tourist loss-making attraction can continue without disruption. 

Edit to add: 

There is no way the DOI will take this on the chin and be honest - admit the scheme is a total disaster through their piss poor prior planning. They will try and put some kind of spin on it. 

Edited by foxdaleliberationfront
  • Confused 1