Promenade - Megathread

slinkydevil

6 minutes ago, Numbnuts said:

That's what they said I'm sure how much had been allowed for plans and design etc. Remember they had 3 goes at it I think.. Remember the late Murray Lambden's efforts to stop them putting the Trams on the walkway ?! So I believe these , happy to be corrected , are the third effort to arrive at an acceptable solution. I do agree It's a incredible amount and hardly believable or justifiable . And No I don't think it was done in house . That would mean they would be culpable for any cock ups !!! Ohh I'm sure lots of it was but believe it went out to tenders. Architect , Engineering and Cost consultants and probably more . 

That's the point I was alluding to earlier concerning the electrification of the tramway. It might well have been in the initial proposal for Tynwald approval but was not, as far as I could see/remember, being in the last presentation. 

29 minutes ago, Numbnuts said:

That's what they said I'm sure how much had been allowed for plans and design etc. Remember they had 3 goes at it I think.. Remember the late Murray Lambden's efforts to stop them putting the Trams on the walkway ?! So I believe these , happy to be corrected , are the third effort to arrive at an acceptable solution. I do agree It's a incredible amount and hardly believable or justifiable . And No I don't think it was done in house . That would mean they would be culpable for any cock ups !!! Ohh I'm sure lots of it was but believe it went out to tenders. Architect , Engineering and Cost consultants and probably more . 

I wish the Ghost of Gawne could be laid.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Neil Down said:

Correct they could have done it in tranches.

1. close Victoria Street to just before Marina Road. Complete the section

2. close Marina Road to Broadway. Complete section

3. close Broadway to Castle Mona. Complete section

4. close Castle Mona to Summerland. Complete section

traffic can still get to all parts of lower Douglas with any of those sections closed. Just needs a bit of planning (the point where it falls over) and proper administration (second point where it falls over)

It's not just about traffic, it's also about maintaining services to properties and businesses whilst installing new services and then removing the redundant services, how the hell can you do that if you go section by section?? A better way of doing it would be to go down one side until you get to the end and then go back down the other side until you reach the other end but having said that it's not as simple as that.

traffic can still get to all parts of lower Douglas with any of those sections closed. Just needs a bit of planning (the point where it falls over) and proper administration (second point where it falls over)

It's not just about traffic, it's also about maintaining services to properties and businesses whilst installing new services and then removing the redundant services, how the hell can you do that if you go section by section?? A better way of doing it would be to go down one side until you get to the end and then go back down the other side until you reach the other end but having said that it's not as simple as that.

16 minutes ago, yootalkin2me said:

Look a little deeper my friend. If each of those sections were to be closed off to traffic only, pedestrians can still get to the businesses

7 minutes ago, Neil Down said:

Look a little deeper my friend. If each of those sections were to be closed off to traffic only, pedestrians can still get to the businesses

Deliveries and loading out . Bins etc ..I agree that the way to have gone but not as idealistic and simple as it sounds . I have a friend with two businesses premises on the Prom and he constantly needs access with vans with stock replenishing. 

31 minutes ago, Neil Down said:

You've completely missed my point (even though it was duplicated), with regard to maintaining, removing redundant and installing new I was referring to gas, drainage, telecoms, water, electric and street lighting....I never once referenced pedestrians getting to businesses.

On 1/16/2020 at 6:04 PM, yootalkin2me said:

I could never understand for the life of me that if we actually had to continue with the horse trams wwhy it wasn't just a single tram line, I mean for fuck sake, how many people are expected to go on the trams, even at peak summer time people would happily wait for the tram to return as long as the trams were running to time....we don't have millions using the tram each year!!

A circular route minibus,like the one in summertime to Laxey beach,would be great during motorcycle events,running from the sea terminal up Broadway to the Grandstand and back,no timetable needed.Im sure a single horsetram track would have done fine.as most journeys would have no time deadline.