Promenade - Megathread

slinkydevil

4 hours ago, asitis said:

When does the PAC enquiry start in respect of the Prom ?

The sooner the better.

ETA. If there's problems with the concrete cracking already under the weight of the horse tram and/or that maintenance shunter that Longworth drove along the rails; what happens under the weight of a full size electric tram?

Edited by Non-Believer
Extra bit
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

Its amazing really. Everyone knew it was going to be a disaster, but I don't think anyone was prepared for how complete that disaster would be.

Apparently a lot of it is down to the arrogance of a Mr J Robinson.

Kate Lord-Brennan seemed to have been prepared. She distanced herself about week 2 I think 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

Its amazing really. Everyone knew it was going to be a disaster, but I don't think anyone was prepared for how complete that disaster would be.

Apparently a lot of it is down to the arrogance of a Mr J Robinson.

Where would the IOM Government be without it eh?

2 hours ago, ellanvannin2010 said:

It was, I think,  in one of the many previous proposals maybe mark V or mark VI of the prom plans that there was to be a terminus outside the Sefton with a single track( or just a corridor)along Loch prom to the sea terminal and this was only to be used (if ever built) for special events. I think Longworth did not want the section along Loch prom and when told he was getting it did the normal "toys out of the pram" that it would not be used even if built except for events. There has been no mention of it only been used as such in the plans they are working to currently though to my knowledge

Just checked the many Tynwald debates and apart from Mrs Caine speaking from the backbenches to Robertshaw's amendment in the final debate this idea was not mentioned. So this is a new idea that is not the agreed policy of Tynwald. It also makes little sense to have it constantly opened and then closed. Will they be allowing parking on it? If so this will just confuse everyone. This project needs to be halted and reassessed asap 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Long time ago Quayle should have called a halt to the whole contract . Around June time when it was clear is was only heading one way.  Of course he didn't and as each month has gone by it's gone from bad to disaster . It's not suddenly getting better unless it's stopped and  more importantly DOI management are brought to task. I actually don't feel it's much to do with Auldyn and from what I've heard that's correct and all to do with lack of detailed plans and a structure to work too. The gateway to the Island...Mmmmmm that's was the blurb when it was first mooted but all it's been is a unmitigated total disaster which we all know is going to cost taxpayers many millions . They just don't learn do they ..some mighty ego's in DOI even to contemplate this contract with their track record .

Edited by Numbnuts
  • Like 3

42 minutes ago, Ham_N_Eggs said:

Just checked the many Tynwald debates and apart from Mrs Caine speaking from the backbenches to Robertshaw's amendment in the final debate this idea was not mentioned. So this is a new idea that is not the agreed policy of Tynwald. It also makes little sense to have it constantly opened and then closed. Will they be allowing parking on it? If so this will just confuse everyone. This project needs to be halted and reassessed asap 

There was a huge backlash to the proposal that the horse trams would terminate at the Sefton, and it was agreed in Tynwald that the track would extend to the Sea Terminal.

There appears to have been no debate, or agreement, in Tynwald, in respect of the trams only proceeding beyond that point on special occasions.

Similarly, no-one seems to have considered the fact that when the horses cross from the centre of the road to the seaward side of the road, some means of stopping the road traffic to let them past might just be a good idea.

There is also the point that at some time in the future, there might be an extension of the MER trams to the Sea Terminal,. Again , will these only be on special occasions, or could we have commuter trams? in which case, won't they need some form of signalling to stop the road traffic temporarily?

58 minutes ago, monasqueen said:

There was a huge backlash to the proposal that the horse trams would terminate at the Sefton, and it was agreed in Tynwald that the track would extend to the Sea Terminal.

There appears to have been no debate, or agreement, in Tynwald, in respect of the trams only proceeding beyond that point on special occasions.

Similarly, no-one seems to have considered the fact that when the horses cross from the centre of the road to the seaward side of the road, some means of stopping the road traffic to let them past might just be a good idea.

There is also the point that at some time in the future, there might be an extension of the MER trams to the Sea Terminal,. Again , will these only be on special occasions, or could we have commuter trams? in which case, won't they need some form of signalling to stop the road traffic temporarily?

I think this is what's just been thrown up the other week with the minutes of the monthly meeting saying that the £800.000 to 1 million which hadn't been allocated to budgets for the signals. I believe this was for the crossover and the Broadway roundabout . Could be wrong though . 

Edited by Numbnuts

It will be interesting to see what the final elevation of the tram rail track will be outside the Villa/Gaiety, compared to the elevation of the single lane track hgeading towards the Sea Terminal. If it's anywhere nearing the camber that's along the rest of the double track area then the tram driver is going to have to have his wits negotiating the camber/crossing from one side to the other. I have visions of a derailment otherwise.      

Edited by Andy Onchan

3 minutes ago, Andy Onchan said:

It will be interesting to see what the final elevation of the tram rail track will be outside the Villa/Gaiety, compared to the elevation of the single lane track hgeading towards the Sea Terminal. If it's anywhere nearing the camber that's along the rest of the double track area then the tram driver is going to have to have his wits negotiating the camber/crossing from one side to the other. I have visions of a derailment otherwise.      

Good point and observation . Hadn't thought of that and probably neither have they ! 

1 hour ago, monasqueen said:

Huge backlash, do you mean huge outcry when they announced the horsetrams would be going down the middle of the feckin prom again...