Promenade - Megathread

slinkydevil

11 hours ago, Non-Believer said:

Thanks John. I'm just trying to raise the suggestion that this "activity" must, in some way, contribute to our GDP. It has to. Invoiced materials and labour. Regardless of whether it's private customers being billed or the Government.

It's not the reason for the convoluted scheme. It's the DoI. They have over complicated what should have been simple. They wanted to create something special with a cultural quarter; a horse tram depot by the war memorial on a part of the prom subject to flooding; new sea walls where people won't be able to see the sea; a gateway halfway along the prom; granite oh so much granite; they wanted to create a promenade for tomorrow and not just today; they want a surface that won't need replacing for 30 years (so just after they finish it); and above all they want electric trams to venture forth across the prom with Longworth proudly steering these lightening powered beasts for their maiden voyage to the sea terminal, as the concrete groans and cracks beneath their mighty girth, before it finally gives way swallowing them whole, dropping them into the void beneath that they swore wasn't there. This isn't an elaborate plan to dodge VAT this is quite simply all about ego.

Edited by Ham_N_Eggs
  • Thanks 5

13 minutes ago, Ham_N_Eggs said:

This isn't an elaborate plan to dodge VAT this is quite simply all about ego.

You are correct this is totally about the overwhelming egos of one or two people. There is no other objective to this project. The fact is though that it’s ended up as yet another case of the Emperors New Clothes for the DOI where their aspirations and egos by far exceed any of their talents or abilities. 

13 minutes ago, thesultanofsheight said:

You are correct this is totally about the overwhelming egos of one or two people. There is no other objective to this project. The fact is though that it’s ended up as yet another case of the Emperors New Clothes for the DOI where their aspirations and egos by far exceed any of their talents or abilities. 

When you say "its ended up ..." I hope you dont mean that. There is still a long way to go. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, NoTail said:

When you say "its ended up ..." I hope you dont mean that. There is still a long way to go. 

Correct, there is no end to the amount of more potential cockups on this project.

2 minutes ago, asitis said:

Someone has just worked the heritage figures and seems that the taxpayers fund every journey on all the transport heritage to the tune of £26.00 per journey per person !

Money well spent... :blink:

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Dave Hedgehog said:

Good to see on the weekly update email they are still claiming the clearly unfinished part opposite the Horse stables on Queens Prom is finished. 

Maybe it is and they have decided to just leave it like that. 

It's def not finished although looks like all but a top coat is needed now . Obviously job description for DOI is ability to lie and have a good imagination 

1 hour ago, Dave Hedgehog said:

Good to see on the weekly update email they are still claiming the clearly unfinished part opposite the Horse stables on Queens Prom is finished. 

Maybe it is and they have decided to just leave it like that. 

They were even painting white lines on it the other day, perhaps to prove it was finished.

I friend was told by the DOI when they queried the inaccuracy of the plans that the phasing plans were not the DOI's responsibility  but Auldyns.

The concreting of the tramtracks up to near Broadway is supposed to be complete by Friday night as well:lol:

Edited by ellanvannin2010

58 minutes ago, ellanvannin2010 said:

They were even painting white lines on it the other day, perhaps to prove it was finished.

I friend was told by the DOI when they queried the inaccuracy of the plans that the phasing plans were not the DOI's responsibility  but Auldyns.

The concreting of the tramtracks up to near Broadway is supposed to be complete by Friday night as well:lol:

I think your right about the plans . However the problem was the DOI hadn't and haven't still apparently given detailed plans to Auldyn as to what was to be done. So clearly Auldyn would need what was required before they could map out a timetable. Actually it's referred to in the last MY PROM  minutes in November I think when Auldyn man was asked about timetable etc and he clearly said sure when we receive detailed plan we can give you phasing timetable ...blame game and DOI not coming out of it very well . As a footnote from a goof source it would seen a lot of works have been done on the hoof as they have come up with issues which would explain the jumping from place to place till they come up with those details for contractors .

Edited by Numbnuts

33 minutes ago, Andy Onchan said:

I'd suggest being blind would be be a good attribute.

I've worked with a blind engineer. She would have done a far better job.

Edited by GD4ELI
Removed fishy reference.