Promenade - Megathread

slinkydevil

Good luck with trying to get those vacancies recruited and filled in time via Jobtrain. Takes over six months from notification to man in post I was told recently. By a man who had vacancies in his Govt. department.

On 2/13/2020 at 6:27 AM, On The Bus said:

Wow, I didn't realise it was that long ago! So by the time the Prom is finished it will have been almost 10 years from start to finish to redo about 1.5m of road. Only in the Isle of Man! 

it will be a heritage site before it's even finished and the best part of the prom is the bit they haven't dug up yet.

9 minutes ago, gettafa said:

I realise this must be a stupid question but why didn't they start at one end and work towards the other, at least in sections?

cos that might have worked,  they should have moved the tramlines to the seaward side first and redone the walkway to where the seaward rails are now keeping 2 lanes of traffic open, then done the other side  rather than the fuck up fest we are saddled with.

9 minutes ago, gettafa said:

I realise this must be a stupid question but why didn't they start at one end and work towards the other, at least in sections?

Because they wanted to get the horsetram track down first. The DoI said this was because they had contracts in place so had to run them. Turns out this was a load of manure, it was actually written on advertising leaflets which even said the services may not be running.

33 minutes ago, gettafa said:

Somewhere in this thread is a response to that question. I suggested similar. They could have completely shut the prom in sections with little to no disruption. Stumbling block amongst all this is those feckin nag trams...

53 minutes ago, gettafa said:

It allows for the most efficient use of plant. 
for example, the machine that breaks up the tarmac can start working on the next bit instead of sitting idle. 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, kevster said:

It allows for the most efficient use of plant. 
for example, the machine that breaks up the tarmac can start working on the next bit instead of sitting idle. 

Well it would seem they have an abundance of breaking up machines and a severe shortage of reinstatement machines!

Edited by finlo
  • Like 4

4 hours ago, WTF said:

cos that might have worked,  they should have moved the tramlines to the seaward side first and redone the walkway to where the seaward rails are now keeping 2 lanes of traffic open, then done the other side  rather than the fuck up fest we are saddled with.

Wow, I didn't realise you were an experienced Civil Engineer/Civil Engineering Designer/Project Manager.

• Confused 1

5 hours ago, gettafa said:

The original scheme when David Cretney was DOT/DOI Minister was to do it block by block. Starting at the Sea Terminal.

Hindsight shows that was clearly the best option. But it was pushed into the long grass when the rail protest groups started crying about the horse trams being made single track. 

Then Phil Gawne became Minister and the rest is history.