Promenade - Megathread

slinkydevil

Cycled along the prom this morning. Made good practice for next year's end to end. Even pedestrians struggled through the debris. Anybody know if DC have got their arses into gear and cleaned up yet?

56 minutes ago, Neil Down said:

Cycled along the prom this morning. Made good practice for next year's end to end. Even pedestrians struggled through the debris. Anybody know if DC have got their arses into gear and cleaned up yet?

DC have done sweet FA during the work, let alone after the over-topping.

Yes, the prom in parts is screwed because of rubble and other fill material being left around. However, those parts that don't have that kind of unsightly mess have not been maintained. The  area under the Villa arcade running parallel with the road is in a disgusting state, with cigarette butts, waste paper and weeds strewn along there. I doubt that area has seen a brush since the work started. If Councillor Christian engaged his workforce as often as he engages his mouth then the place wouldn't half as bad.

• Thanks 1

In the Windsor cafe at 11 am till 12 . 30 approx and amazed as no workers to be seen on the Prom . Looked down towards Tower House and along to Victoria street junction. Zero ! On leaving and outside spotted a digger working at Tower house with one banksman but nobody else over that whole distance . A mile or so I'd say so clearly they dont give a toss about getting the job done. Guessing maybe Gibsons men doing the paving have gone back for bank holiday but no reason for no other workers on that stretch. Getting close to 8th September also and Broadway being ready . Anyone seen how far on they are  ??? 

Edited by Numbnuts
  • Like 1

Mrs Apple went to Calendar Girls last night (said it was very good and extremely funny and brought me back a really interesting calendar ! ). Walked along the prom from Sea Terminal and apparently it is as nightmare for pedestrians. I drove along today and can't make any sense of what they are doing  (not that there was anyone working) but the place just looks chaotic.  I agree, this will not meet the deadline.

• Like 1

As I have said, most of us are not in a position to say whether progress is good or bad? A lot of the prom may look chaotic, but that's the nature of these sort of jobs. I believe it will hit a point where it will come together very quickly. Not sure when that will be mind you? 

5 minutes ago, Max Power said:

As I have said, most of us are not in a position to say whether progress is good or bad? A lot of the prom may look chaotic, but that's the nature of these sort of jobs. I believe it will hit a point where it will come together very quickly. Not sure when that will be mind you? 

Maybe your right but I have quite a good handle on most jobs and this has been lacking from day one. And it goes without saying if there's still no workers on the job in many areas its not getting done anytime soon 

Edited by Numbnuts
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Numbnuts said:

Maybe your right but I have quite a good handle on most jobs and this has been lacking from day one. And it goes without saying if there's still no workers on the job in many areas its not getting done anytime soon 

I agree there, there just don't seem to be enough workers to speed it along? False economy when you consider the costs of disruption!

16 minutes ago, Max Power said:

I agree there, there just don't seem to be enough workers to speed it along? False economy when you consider the costs of disruption!

I would honestly say they dont seem to care one iota about the distruption and problems to businesses . They are getting their salaries regardless and have zero accountability so nice and cosy in Civil service land ! 

Edited by Numbnuts
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

7 minutes ago, Numbnuts said:

I would honestly say they dont seem to care one iota about the distruption and problems to businesses . They are getting their salaries regardless and have zero accountability so nice and cosy in Civil service land ! 

I'll agree with that too, it makes me so bloody angry at times, it runs right through the PS. Their first priority is themselves, they should not be in public employment if that is their first concern.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Max Power said:

I'll agree with that too, it makes me so bloody angry at times, it runs right through the PS. Their first priority is themselves, they should not be in public employment if that is their first concern.

I ask myself often how many would be still in a job in the private sector !! DOI management would be culled on mass tbh with CEO Black first out the door . 

Just now, Numbnuts said:

I ask myself often how many would be still in a job in the private sector !! DOI management would be culled on mass tbh with CEO Black first out the door . 

We can but dream eh Numbnuts. This sham of a department should have been ousted years ago

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Word has it that due to a cock up on order for the famous Chinese granite nowhere near enough has arrived for paving . Missed a zero out of measurements apparently. ! Cant believe the DOI would make a mistake like that can you !??? And roundabouts at Broadway and Rendevous area will both have to be revisted again a year September to finish properly. Temp done with tarmac in the mean time .  Anyone confirm or know any different ? Mine is a good source but yiu never know 

Edited by Numbnuts