Promenade - Megathread

slinkydevil

3 hours ago, Non-Believer said:

It's not this simple though? Unfortunately, the governance of the IoM has got to the stage where unelected civil servants no longer answer to the elected MHKs.

Rather, the job of the MHKs has become to deflect, deny, defend and apologise in respect of those CS and their Depts and entourages at every turn and event. Even when it is glaringly obvious to the public eye that things are going massively awry and millions of pounds are being wasted or misspent. It afflicts every Dept and too many LAs.

Quite how this situation has arisen is anybody's guess but probably through elected weakness and lack of knowledge over the years. The servants have become the untouchable masters with the elected oversight their obedient poodles.

Perhaps the newly elected MHK's are  initially "looked after" by a senior CS and sent on expenses paid trips to London to see how "democracy works" then on "Media training courses"(Rob still unable to advise the cost of that one:lol:) and subsequently on other "educational" and "fact finding" visits in interesting and exotic locations . 

As a result the CS and the MHK are "mates" and there could be a tacit agreement not to "dob each other in" .

It's a win win situation for the CS individual it's cost him/her personally nothing ( his/her job is secured they remain anonymous ) and all the newly appointed MHK has lost is their credibility  and when the public sees them for what they are they'll be out and another MHK will be given the same "opportunities".

That's my hypothesis but I could be wrong:flowers:  

Edited by paswt

1 hour ago, paswt said:

Perhaps the newly elected MHK's are  initially "looked after" by a senior CS and sent on expenses paid trips to London to see how "democracy works" then on "Media training courses"(Rob still unable to advise the cost of that one:lol:) and subsequently on other "educational" and "fact finding" visits in interesting and exotic locations . 

As a result the CS and the MHK are "mates" and there could be a tacit agreement not to "dob each other in" .

It's a win win situation for the CS individual it's cost him/her personally nothing ( his/her job is secured they remain anonymous ) and all the newly appointed MHK has lost is their credibility  and when the public sees them for what they are they'll be out and another MHK will be given the same "opportunities".

That's my hypothesis but I could be wrong:flowers:  

"Assimilation into the system"...with all its benefits.

"Club Tynwald - the best club in the world". From one of its past senior members.

Club Tynwald has forgotten what it exists for, through self-benefit and invention of pomp and circumstance for itself.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

Mr Callister now claiming that the Sea Terminal is looking "tired" (MR News online).

That rubbing noise you can hear in the background is Ann Reynolds' hands...

Pretty much like the yanks who love to start wars yet never get round to finishing them, our like minded clowns love to start jobs and never finish those...

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

Mr Callister now claiming that the Sea Terminal is looking "tired" (MR News online).

And the clapping you can also hear in background are the DOI estates planning people at the prospect of cooking up another grandiose 4 million quid scheme that won't run to budget or on time. What's not to like?

1 minute ago, Andy Onchan said:

And the clapping you can also hear in background are the DOI estates planning people at the prospect of cooking up another grandiose 4 million quid scheme that won't run to budget or on time. What's not to like?

And the manical laughing is Longtail at the prospect of running the horse trams right the way to the boats

Edited by Neil Down
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

You mean the Ann Reynolds who went into a Tynwald meeting and said she had no idea what the cause of the queues was, but she thought it a good idea to spend £330,000 of someone else's money solving the unknown problem. Including buying and maintaining 4 or 5 bar code scanners when there is at most two baggage scanners.

86249953_86249956_Examiner.jpg

13 minutes ago, Neil Down said:

And the manical laughing is Longtail at the prospect of running the horse trams right the way to the boats

That's where they should be going. Ever heard of integrated transport?

My first trip on a horse tram was when I came with my parents, and got on one close to the ship's gangway. You couldn't go that close now - you've got to get people through security, but get them to terminate close to the Sea Terminal doors, and you're onto a winner.

17 minutes ago, monasqueen said:

That's where they should be going. Ever heard of integrated transport?

My first trip on a horse tram was when I came with my parents, and got on one close to the ship's gangway. You couldn't go that close now - you've got to get people through security, but get them to terminate close to the Sea Terminal doors, and you're onto a winner.

Where horse trams are concerned, you are never onto a winner. You are not even close to a draw...

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Southfork said:

Just look at these irrelevant fancy dress bellends dressing up as the town is literally being destroyed around them 

BAF19F4A-82C7-47B0-9DAC-52AC89E4DCAA.jpeg

I’m sure Douglas ratepayers will be delighted to see their money has been well spent on those outfits and no doubt a few drinks & canapés 

• Confused 1