Promenade - Megathread

slinkydevil

32 minutes ago, NoTail said:

Another mystery, at least to me. Why would you have the bit of pavement on the walkway lowered like this? 

20201126_153050.thumb.jpg.4010af6d715fb724c1a33bbc426beb41.jpg

That's where the zebra was going to cross........but then they realised there aren't any Zebras on the island so they left it just in case.

• Haha 2

44 minutes ago, Roxanne said:

Is that the truth or did you just make it up? 

I have no idea what MK the Jag is. The only person I know (figuratively speaking) who drives/drove a Jag of that era is/was Morse. My response Capt. Mainwaring-esque.  ("well done Wilson, I wondered who'd be the first to spot that!") 

Edited by Andy Onchan
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, doc.fixit said:

I think the j2 had a much rounder front (and a steering box that used to seize!)....of course, I could be wrong.

The bulging "hips" and also the indicator position made me think j2 but there's something odd about the front that's neither j2 or 4?

11 hours ago, ellanvannin2010 said:

According to the DOI in this article

http://www.iomtoday.co.im/article.cfm?id=52764&headline=Douglas Promenade: Concrete tramway was most cost effective says Department of Infrastructure&sectionIs=NEWS&searchyear=2019

"differentiating the tram corridor from the asphalt roadway was a ’necessary health and safety requirement’ that ensures that pedestrians are aware of the change in their environment."

So it begs the question, if the red concrete is to do that, what is the change in environment in the middle of Loch prom as it is not for tram tracks?.

10 hours ago, ellanvannin2010 said:

But the same colour and style of finish means danger you are about to be run over by a tram further along the prom. So on the one hand its a safety area on the other its a danger area. Not exactly sensible.

The main issue here is the original central rails system was a legacy of another time, but it was intrinsically unsafe, with pedestrians having to alight and dismount from a live traffic lane. The DOI have, by failing to review and revise the route of the trams, installed a network which is still intrinsically unsafe.

I did mention this to Chris Thomas in a Twitter exchange. He replied that they had 'Taken advice'. I had to point out that bad advice was no defence.

The bottom line is that the rails should never have gone in where they have, in this day and age.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Zooming-up, the lettering on the boot is where it should be on the Jag. The Daimler's lettering was usually always bottom right on the boot above the rear fender/bumper. The trademark jaguar on the bonnet looks to be there too but the image doesn't hold together well when zoomed-up though but I now think it's a Jag...