Promenade - Megathread

slinkydevil

The Promenade is becoming very IRIS esque

A mighty beast of a clusterfuck going out of control

With the Island's sewage (IRIS), someone had the bright idea of putting all the sewage into a single treatment plant (Meary Veg). So you pooh in Ramsey or Port Erin - it would get pumped all the way to Meary Veg. What a simple and genius idea eh!. Except it isn't. It's a disaster financially and engineering wise. And I wonder if the land owners around Meary Veg had any influence on that particular decision (££££££££s).

• Like 4

16 hours ago, Barlow said:

The Promenade is becoming very IRIS esque

A mighty beast of a clusterfuck going out of control

With the Island's sewage (IRIS), someone had the bright idea of putting all the sewage into a single treatment plant (Meary Veg). So you pooh in Ramsey or Port Erin - it would get pumped all the way to Meary Veg. What a simple and genius idea eh!. Except it isn't. It's a disaster financially and engineering wise. And I wonder if the land owners around Meary Veg had any influence on that particular decision (££££££££s).

Didn't one or two houseowners down there get bought out by the MUA because of the insurmountable noise and vibration issues from the plant?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

Didn't one or two houseowners down there get bought out by the MUA because of the insurmountable noise and vibration issues from the plant?

Not near Meary Veg. Whitehoe. About 6. The pumping plant at Whitehoe is on a rock bed which was transmitting vibrations to the foundations of nearby houses.

Im not sure iris was a bad concept. The idea of only one processing station has attractions. It avoids nimbyism that’s left us unable to get local units in Laxey and Peel recently. 

When you live on an island, where all major conurbations are coastal, you either have to pump or let it run into the sea. Sea option isn’t acceptable. Most large cities have had pumped systems since sewage systems were invented in the C19. The old steam ones are often preserved and open as tourist attractions. 

Iom is no larger an area than Manchester or Sheffield or Birmingham, they all have hills and have had pumping stations for 160+ years.  The distances are no further, the volume and population density is less.

Even the now withdrawn Peel location would have required pumping.

If you don’t have Iris what do you do?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

46 minutes ago, John Wright said:

If you don’t have Iris what do you do?

Install septic tanks. Yes it will increase the number of sludge tankers on the road but there'd probably be a saving from not having to build new infrastructure. Whatever is decided will cost a lot of money. 

The planners and independent inspectors really shouldn't be be approving any new builds in areas where there is no infrastructure connecting to IRIS until a proper plan is in place.

It's all cart before the horse stuff.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, TheTeapot said:

I'd love to know what effect IRIS had on sealife. Stopping pumping all that shit into the sea must have cut down a pretty big food source.

Pooh and piss has been making its way into the sea for millennia and then suddenly its just clean water, passed by the management at Meary Veg.

I think the problem was when the effluent from factories was added and then all the chemicals such as washing powder and toothpaste from homes.

Without IRIS what do you have? It's a good question and one that I am sure the engineering consultants (and especially in the Isle of Man a consultant who gave the illusion of being an engineer) rather lucratively have been trying to answer.

1 hour ago, Andy Onchan said:

Install septic tanks. Yes it will increase the number of sludge tankers on the road but there'd probably be a saving from not having to build new infrastructure. Whatever is decided will cost a lot of money. 

The planners and independent inspectors really shouldn't be be approving any new builds in areas where there is no infrastructure connecting to IRIS until a proper plan is in place.

It's all cart before the horse stuff.

What a silly suggestion. All those tankers transporting **** around when you go join the 19th century and have a pipe and some pumps

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Barlow said:

Pooh and piss has been making its way into the sea for millennia and then suddenly its just clean water, passed by the management at Meary Veg.

I think the problem was when the effluent from factories was added and then all the chemicals such as washing powder and toothpaste from homes.

Without IRIS what do you have? It's a good question and one that I am sure the engineering consultants (and especially in the Isle of Man a consultant who gave the illusion of being an engineer) rather lucratively have been trying to answer.

Clearly you know very little about this subject. The only problem is getting it to Meary Veg. Once its there all those things are no problem at all. Waste water is mostly washing up/clothes washing water will a liberal scattering of poo and piss. All no problem for the bacteria that make up biological treatment. There is very little chemical effluent here that can cause any issue

1 minute ago, Happier diner said:

What a silly suggestion. All those tankers transporting **** around when you go join the 19th century and have a pipe and some pumps

If the shit collecting process/system by tankers already exists and work why not expand it?

But then of course that's the simple answer as it doesn't require a plethora of design engineers/consultants, surveyors, building contractors, DOI staff admin staff to man a website telling them that they're only 2 years behind schedule but all will be oK.

1 hour ago, Happier diner said:

True if you're in the town, but if you're rural it's a good option, modern septic tanks don't need emptying all that often. I have a 1,000 gallon tank, gets emptied every three years, takes 20 minutes, costs ~£140. 

I have a 3/4 bed bungalow, pay ~£100 / year for water.

19 minutes ago, GD4ELI said:

True if you're in the town, but if you're rural it's a good option, modern septic tanks don't need emptying all that often. I have a 1,000 gallon tank, gets emptied every three years, takes 20 minutes, costs ~£140. 

I have a 3/4 bed bungalow, pay ~£100 / year for water.

Yes agree. Rural locations, yes septic tank best option. What was being suggested was build more septic tanks and tanker more. Not really a practicable option for urban areas

1. Whose gonna pay for all the septic tank

2, who's gonna pay for all the 000's of tankers

1 hour ago, Andy Onchan said:

If the shit collecting process/system by tankers already exists and work why not expand it?

But then of course that's the simple answer as it doesn't require a plethora of design engineers/consultants, surveyors, building contractors, DOI staff admin staff to man a website telling them that they're only 2 years behind schedule but all will be oK.

Ha Ha. Come on Andy, think about what you are saying.

7 hours ago, Happier diner said:

Clearly you know very little about this subject. The only problem is getting it to Meary Veg. Once its there all those things are no problem at all. Waste water is mostly washing up/clothes washing water will a liberal scattering of poo and piss. All no problem for the bacteria that make up biological treatment. There is very little chemical effluent here that can cause any issue

I was talking about before Meary Veg. Every drop of washing powder, shampoo, toothpaste etc ended up in the sea, and I was pointing out that that would have an adverse affect on sea life. And then there was the factories throughouit teh land pouring their waste into the rivers/sea. 

The process that goes on at Mearty Veg is spot on. I am not doubting that,.

John Wright asks what is the alternative? Good question. Who knows. I believe there was an option to pour the sewage out to sea but it would have had to be 7 miles out. 

Peel and Laxey are going to have to bite the bullet. It's their effluent.

On 12/17/2020 at 7:39 PM, Barlow said:

And I wonder if the land owners around Meary Veg had any influence on that particular decision (££££££££s).

Does anyone know who owned the huge house that was knocked down to make way for the Peel Sewage plant? Hasn't planning been refused?

Anyway, they'll have done ok. Same as them at Meary Veg.