Promenade - Megathread

slinkydevil

5 hours ago, Barlow said:

Does anyone know who owned the huge house that was knocked down to make way for the Peel Sewage plant? Hasn't planning been refused?

Anyway, they'll have done ok. Same as them at Meary Veg. 

Yes, saw that. All those plans and that building "of significance" demolished. All for nought now.

16 hours ago, Andy Onchan said:

If the shit collecting process/system by tankers already exists and work why not expand it?

But then of course that's the simple answer as it doesn't require a plethora of design engineers/consultants, surveyors, building contractors, DOI staff admin staff to man a website telling them that they're only 2 years behind schedule but all will be oK.

To work that way would require all the houses that are currently connected to the sewer system would have to be disconnected. Then they would all have to install septic tanks in their gardens (if they have them). Septic tank systems are suited to rural locations where there is space bit not in urban locations....imagine a flat. The Victorians worked this out centuries ago....if not even the Romans!. 

That's why I said think about it and why your suggestion is totally impractical

50 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

To work that way would require all the houses that are currently connected to the sewer system would have to be disconnected. Then they would all have to install septic tanks in their gardens (if they have them). Septic tank systems are suited to rural locations where there is space bit not in urban locations....imagine a flat. The Victorians worked this out centuries ago....if not even the Romans!. 

That's why I said think about it and why your suggestion is totally impractical

So what's your answer?

• 2 weeks later...
5 minutes ago, ellanvannin2010 said:

Not lasted long without subsiding, let us hope it is just an isolated fault

Note that the "white bits" are already a dark shade of grey, and within a few more months will be close to black.

If these were normal pedestrian crossings a new coat of Dulux Extra Brilliant White (or retroreflecting material as in the regs.) would sort it out. But I don't see how these blocks can be cleaned up.

But never-mind, these crossings are not legal zebra crossings so there is no requirement for traffic to stop. Flattening a pedestrian is not a good idea, but if/when there is an accident I assume it will be treated in the same way as if the pedestrian had wandered out into the middle of any other bit of road.

7 minutes ago, Two-lane said:

Note that the "white bits" are already a dark shade of grey, and within a few more months will be close to black.

If these were normal pedestrian crossings a new coat of Dulux Extra Brilliant White (or retroreflecting material as in the regs.) would sort it out. But I don't see how these blocks can be cleaned up.

But never-mind, these crossings are not legal zebra crossings so there is no requirement for traffic to stop. Flattening a pedestrian is not a good idea, but if/when there is an accident I assume it will be treated in the same way as if the pedestrian had wandered out into the middle of any other bit of road.

If you run over a pedestrian while they are crossing the road.....its your fault...whatever the road markings🙄

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Two-lane said:

The zebra crossings on The Promenade worked best before they put the lights on them about 20 years ago. Traffic use to stop when people approached the crossing and they were used as intended, and the situation was more efficient for everyone. The problem was they were was not too useful for people who were blind.

Expect the lights to return and probably the regulation crossings too.

42 minutes ago, ellanvannin2010 said:

Not lasted long without subsiding, let us hope it is just an isolated fault

36 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

A void has shown itself

No. This is impossible. The reason the Promenade has cost so much was to ensure there was a proper foundation beneath. Hence why they didn't just resurface it (as they did with Central Promenade) at a mere fraction of the cost.