Promenade - Megathread

slinkydevil

32 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

Given that the DOI were previously told that their Promenade overspends would have to be found from within their existing budgets (this was before the latest revelations and a proposed new visit to the next Tynwald for extra funding); one might wonder how much has been siphoned away from other road maintenance budgeting already in the name of this?

Agreed , one can only wonder !! The original contract was for the finished job so bearing in mind they have paused the single tram track, the paviours on roundabouts and lots of other areas just getting tarmac and not paviours etc its clear they have blew a huge part of the budget and as you say having to go back to Tynwald later in the year . My guess is thats up to 10 million wasted on incompetence and mistakes in design etc  

8 hours ago, finlo said:

You're getting the hang of things!

Learning from Abbotswood...

4 hours ago, slinkydevil said:

And here we are 8, yes 8 years later and I don't think anything is finished. Amazing.

It's very difficult to have and maintain a sense of pride when I get reminded of things like this. What went wrong ? 

40 minutes ago, Apple said:

What went wrong ? 

Government are involved that is what went wrong! It seems clear that the lack of accountability across the board is a inseparable reason for most of the dreadful delays, out of control spending and poor decision making. We have a whole raft of senior management civil servants who are at best weak, at worst totally incompetent and we seem to import ones who the UK wouldn't touch with a barge pole. The lack of action for years is illustrated across the board from DOI to DHSC to the airport and many others. We need new politicians with teeth who are prepared to ask questions not sit dozing in their personal sunshine!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, slinkydevil said:

Screenshot-2021-05-11-at-00-33-37.png

And here we are 8, yes 8 years later and I don't think anything is finished. Amazing.

I wonder what happened to Matt? He was right in a way though. Douglas does look amazing.....

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Numbnuts said:

Agreed , one can only wonder !! The original contract was for the finished job so bearing in mind they have paused the single tram track, the paviours on roundabouts and lots of other areas just getting tarmac and not paviours etc its clear they have blew a huge part of the budget and as you say having to go back to Tynwald later in the year . My guess is thats up to 10 million wasted on incompetence and mistakes in design etc  

And every change has the contractor rubbing his hands in glee.

By the time all this is "finished" (it will NEVER be really finished, though, will it?), most of it will look so old and shabby, that it will need redoing. They should just label it all as our own Golden Gate Bridge (to nowhere but massive back-handers and pensions). That will bring the tourists in large numbers, I tell you!!!

On 5/9/2021 at 11:10 AM, Boris Johnson said:

All the buildings along Loch Prom 100% have it*, it can go as far back as Strand Street along there.

*Maybe not in their basements, most have been sealed but certainly outside their basement walls.

The Villiers building, I was told but cant confirm, uses the sea in the ground below it to help with air con?

If you go down Howard Street and look to your right in the lanes running parallel with the Prom (Churches Bookshop is on the opposite corner) you can see where the old sea wall is. Anything that was built from that point on out towards the sea is built on reclaimed land supported by stratae of bed rock.

These reclaimed areas are the source of the oft commented issue of voids along the prom, from the old Villiers site up to just short of Senna Road area. 

Screenshot 2021-05-11 11.22.57.png

Edited by Andy Onchan
spellybob
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, monasqueen said:

Peanuts! Have you seen the proposals for Guernsey's harbour development? The preferred option is costed at a cool £360m!

But we are talking DOI here...... they're more than capable of racking up that sort of money for a lot, lot less in deliverables. It's easy when you've had practice and a parliament that hasn't a clue in managing the funding for something like this. 

1 hour ago, Andy Onchan said:

If you go down Howard Street and look to your right in the lanes running parallel with the Prom (Churches Bookshop is on the opposite corner) you can see where the old sea wall is. Anything that was built from that point on out towards the sea is built on reclaimed land supported by stratae of bed rock.

These reclaimed areas are the source of the oft commented issue of voids along the prom, from the old Villiers site up to just short of Senna Road area. 

Screenshot 2021-05-11 11.22.57.png

Has anyone ever seen one of these voids? 

I'm genuinely interested. I've heard them talked about for years and years, but I've never actually met anyone who has seen one or knows of one causing issues. 

8 minutes ago, AlanShimmin said:

Has anyone ever seen one of these voids? 

I'm genuinely interested. I've heard them talked about for years and years, but I've never actually met anyone who has seen one or knows of one causing issues. 

Do you not think that if they existed a forty tonne truck would have collapsed the road years ago.

• Like 1