Promenade - Megathread

slinkydevil

1 hour ago, ptarmigan said:

DOI are proposing the make the prom and surrounding roads 20MPH.  Personally I think it's a good idea and should be extended across all the towns.  But .... looks like it got snuck out as a public notice hidden in the back of the newspaper. 

20mph limit has been the plan from the start - it's nothing new

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, kevster said:

20mph limit has been the plan from the start - it's nothing new

I don't think this is at all accurate.

The then-Minister for Infrastructure, Ray Harmer, when asked about this in May last year, said that it was merely being considered. See here: https://www.three.fm/news/coronavirus/douglas-prom-20mph-limit-to-become-permanent/

I haven't found any mention of permanent 20 mph speed limits on MyProm.im (although, it might be buried away there somewhere, so if anyone can find it, please let me know!) or any other Government source published before 9 July 2021. Indeed, the DOI itself has admitted that there was no preliminary consultation before 9 July.

3 minutes ago, Ramseyboi said:

It should be 20mph.  Don’t see why anyone would object tbh?  Entrances to roads and buildings, crossings, cars parking.

20 sounds sensible.

Went along the prom today and tried 20mph from Terminus too Clarence terrace area and it was painful. That end of the Prom doesnt have much traffic currently and of course no horse trams but 30 mph  would have been sensible and totally safe . When busy , 8 ish to 9 30 ish and the likes , the volume of traffic stops you going above 20 anyway. 

Today driving along the promenade, I saw Einstein's theory Of Time Dilation, An object in motion experiences time dilation, meaning that time moves more slowly when one is moving, than when one is standing still. This will be the reason why the promenade will take longer than expected.

Edited by Holte End
  • Haha 2

9 hours ago, ptarmigan said:

DOI are proposing the make the prom and surrounding roads 20MPH.  Personally I think it's a good idea and should be extended across all the towns.  But .... looks like it got snuck out as a public notice hidden in the back of the newspaper. 

I'm sure that a couple of months ago an announcement was slipped out that this was the aim for all towns and built areas across the Island?

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Andy Onchan said:

A few key differences to if it was DOI. It cost £124k, DOI would have spent £1.24m on it and taken 2 years to complete it. 

• Like 4