Promenade - Megathread

slinkydevil

24 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

Interesting. The white paint causes lack of adhesion for accelerating (TT) motorcycles, fair enough. 

What about all the white paint around the rest of the TT course then? And why does the white paint have less adhesive properties than any black paint where it's additionally used to define a zebra crossing?

The TT course has no zebra crossings? What about the one outside the RGS East Building then, where bikes are accelerating out of Schoolhouse Corner towards Parliament Square?

More crayonista justification.

Isn't there a non slip pigment in the white markings ? Seem to remember someone mentioning it a few years ago   

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

Interesting. The white paint causes lack of adhesion for accelerating (TT) motorcycles, fair enough. 

What about all the white paint around the rest of the TT course then? And why does the white paint have less adhesive properties than any black paint where it's additionally used to define a zebra crossing?

The TT course has no zebra crossings? What about the one outside the RGS East Building then, where bikes are accelerating out of Schoolhouse Corner towards Parliament Square?

More crayonista justification.

How are the bikes going to negotiate all the white lines along Glencrutchery Rd when the traffic was diverted when the prom was one-way?  

53 minutes ago, Numbnuts said:

Isn't there a non slip pigment in the white markings ? Seem to remember someone mentioning it a few years ago   

So white paint is slippy but red paint isn't? 

Is it somebody's induction day at the Sea Terminal and this is the equivalent of sending them for a long wait and striped paint?

Just now, offshoremanxman said:

I drove down the prom this afternoon. It’s already degrading and fading. So are those green tiles that look like they’re straight out of a post war public toilet. The standard of the work is appalling. A friend of mine who does a lot of work in Africa said to me that it looks like the typical African project where someone has already trousered 70% of the budget and then chucks some tarmac down so it looks like something has been done. To me there needs to be a lot of questions asked on procurement and contracts. 

Have you seen the zebra crossing by Rochester Court? I know roads should have a slight camber for drainage but that looks like they've used a slinky for a spirit level.

• Haha 1

Just now, offshoremanxman said:

I had a good wander and drive right across today. It’s shit. Literally shit. Anyone who thinks that’s going to be finished by September needs their head felt. But I assume September has been picked as the Minister will be off then. 

Suspect you're right. Well Baker will be out of office on 24th September. 

There's nothing about it that says quality. Like you say it's all a load of shit. They may as well have taken the £25m and burned it on Douglas Beach for Bonfire Night. 

Removing the kerbs on Regent Street was an absolute genius idea, now people park on the pavement and make people walk in the middle of the road. I suspect once we get a few winter storms the drains will be found wanting. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, AlanShimmin said:

Suspect you're right. Well Baker will be out of office on 24th September. 

There's nothing about it that says quality. Like you say it's all a load of shit. They may as well have taken the £25m and burned it on Douglas Beach for Bonfire Night. 

Removing the kerbs on Regent Street was an absolute genius idea, now people park on the pavement and make people walk in the middle of the road. I suspect once we get a few winter storms the drains will be found wanting. 

Drains! Dam it I knew there was something we'd forgotten!

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Andy Onchan said:

How are the bikes going to negotiate all the white lines along Glencrutchery Rd when the traffic was diverted when the prom was one-way?  

There is different Line paint on the TT course and S100, they use low reflective/ high skid resistance Prismo lifeline 100 and high reflective/low skid resistance Prismo lifeline 200 with ballotinion (glass beads) on the rest of the roads. If you travel from Peel to Douglas the centre lines are barely visible in the dark, and if you go down to Ballamodha until you get to crossfour ways they change to dull for the S100 and from Fishers hill to Gansey the lines are really bright.

1 minute ago, Andy Onchan said:

So if they can use it on other parts of the course why not at Kirk Michael?

I would have thought that a new product is available and the DOI will trial it at KM as it will be on the straight part of the road/course and should not cause any major issues for the bikes.