Promenade - Megathread

slinkydevil

4 minutes ago, Andy Onchan said:

But DOI said thry're putting red coloured tarmac down.

I hope it is better than the red concrete on the prom, tarmac sounds more promising than paint, although what would be the legalities of a red crossing? would it meet the Highways standards if there was an accident? it will be interesting to see how all these unconventional crossings/roundabouts will pan out.

1 hour ago, Andy Onchan said:

But DOI said thry're putting red coloured tarmac down.

Should that be taken in the same context as the orange tarmac they used in Parliament St, Ramsey which is now full of black tarmac repair patches?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

Should that be taken in the same context as the orange tarmac they used in Parliament St, Ramsey which is now full of black tarmac repair patches?

Yet another instance of not considering ongoing maintenance when they come up with these bright ideas.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Ramseyboi said:

Absolute clowns.  Why do they have to try and be clever with everything.  Just make them the same as other crossings on the TT course, a push button and lights.

https://gef.im/2021/08/02/kirk-michael-to-get-dennis-crossings/?fbclid=IwAR1ozUjR_kjWeur5D1eeKmzJluxRQhG3HsDvzO8pMsXyYgSplFuYRGcSR7c

What gets me about this is, even with the best tarmac-laying skills in the world (which they don't appear to have), there will still be joins between the red and black areas and so more unevenness than any sort of paint will provide.

Still I'm sure the inhabitants of Kirk Michael will appreciate the attempt of the their MHKs[1] to get more of them killed by making them use a crossing that no drivers in the world will recognise and whose non-conformity will mean that no one will be prosecuted for getting it wrong.

[1]] As I keep on having to point out none of this can take place without the continuing connivance of the Treasury.

1 hour ago, AlanShimmin said:

Have you never seen a Zebra? Someone got the Crayonistas a new colouring book. 

zebra.png

In a couple of weeks' time the local papers will have pictures of all the local primary schools' new intake of kids for their reception year. I must look and see how many are in the DOI's design department this year....

• Haha 2

38 minutes ago, Numbnuts said:

What is the reason for this change ? Is there a credible reason or is it just as many of us think its a whim thought up by some numpty in DOI  

Think the latter!

Apparently the new political agenda programme on Manx radio is trying to get some of CEOs on like Black to explain their agendas!!

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Banker said:

Think the latter!

Apparently the new political agenda programme on Manx radio is trying to get some of CEOs on like Black to explain their agendas!!

Good luck with that one . Can't see that happening . Be interesting if it did ! Without a restriction on what they could be asked . 

6 hours ago, Roger Mexico said:

What gets me about this is, even with the best tarmac-laying skills in the world (which they don't appear to have), there will still be joins between the red and black areas and so more unevenness than any sort of paint will provide.

Still I'm sure the inhabitants of Kirk Michael will appreciate the attempt of the their MHKs[1] to get more of them killed by making them use a crossing that no drivers in the world will recognise and whose non-conformity will mean that no one will be prosecuted for getting it wrong.

[1]] As I keep on having to point out none of this can take place without the continuing connivance of the Treasury.

If you run over a pedestrian you are in the wrong regardless of whether they were on a crossing or not so ot won't really change the liability. It will only change the law where if someone has a foot on the crossing you must stop. 

1 hour ago, Banker said:

Black or any other civil servant shouldn’t have ‘an agenda’. They are there to give effect to government policy. CEOs should be seen and not heard. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Uhtred said:

Black or any other civil servant shouldn’t have ‘an agenda’. They are there to give effect to government policy. CEOs should be seen and not heard. 

You’re correct but DOI civil servants are setting the agenda for what works are undertaken, doubt Baker even gets told!

Other CEOs can greatly influence policy as well if they wish by promoting only ideas they like, ignoring ones they don’t etc