Promenade - Megathread

slinkydevil

56 minutes ago, WTF said:

so is it legally a roundabout in the eyes of the road traffic act or just a shared space and you can go where you like on it ? ?

I’d also like to know - do you just point your car where you want to go, check for other traffic then go? Or are you expected to go around, and which line do you use? 

18 minutes ago, Whiskey said:

I’d also like to know - do you just point your car where you want to go, check for other traffic then go? Or are you expected to go around, and which line do you use? 

They said this when asked when it first appeared, but I don’t believe it to be correct.

They really should have clarified for people.

I have to go down there later for the Bushys festival so guess I will find out

”The Department of Infrastructure would like to reassure motorists that the two roundels being installed at Broadway and Church Road Marina, as part of the Douglas Promenade Refurbishment Scheme, are to be driven in the same way as any other roundabout - for all the details click the link https://www.myprom.im/.../broadway-has-reopened-for... #iom #isleofman Photo credit: Isle of Man Drone

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Whiskey said:

Ramseyboi's link tells you to use it as a roundabout: slow down, observe and move off. If everyone treats it as such it won't be a problem. The only problem I can see is expecting the dulled awareness of local drivers to take a little bit of extra care on approach and giving way where it's sensible. We'll quickly get used to it, I'm sure. Any accidents will be the result of lack of due care and attention and plain old poor driving. It won't stop those get-out-of-my-way-arrogant-bastard motorists who'll continue to barrel-over roundabouts and who present the biggest danger here.

• Like 4

13 hours ago, AlanShimmin said:

Government headcount outside of emergency services, health and education should he cut by a third. That would sharpen things up and clear out the dead wood.

Of course there's no guarantee that the dead wood would be the ones out of a job. Wouldn't surprise me in the least if the civil servants reporting to the job-seekers queue in Markwell House were the few competent ones we have. 

I'd love to be proved wrong. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, AlanShimmin said:

Government headcount outside of emergency services, health and education should he cut by a third. That would sharpen things up and clear out the dead wood.

Good speech, just for example, have you tried getting a vehicle tested recently, or getting paperwork out of vehicle licensing? These are revenue earners and need more trained staff.

5 minutes ago, Max Power said:

Good speech, just for example, have you tried getting a vehicle tested recently, or getting paperwork out of vehicle licensing? These are revenue earners and need more trained staff.

With the exception of the actual testing, which due to current backlogs should be outsourced, they just need better systems like a private business would have.

Even the ability to book a driving test online rarely works.  At least 90 percent of what they do up there could be online or automated.

34 minutes ago, Ramseyboi said:

They said this when asked when it first appeared, but I don’t believe it to be correct.

They really should have clarified for people.

I have to go down there later for the Bushys festival so guess I will find out

”The Department of Infrastructure would like to reassure motorists that the two roundels being installed at Broadway and Church Road Marina, as part of the Douglas Promenade Refurbishment Scheme, are to be driven in the same way as any other roundabout - for all the details click the link https://www.myprom.im/.../broadway-has-reopened-for... #iom #isleofman Photo credit: Isle of Man Drone

Thanks - so a small white circle would have done the job just as well. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Augustus said:

Chief Secretary needs to be binned and new blood brought in. Ditto AG. Ditto DOI. Ditto all of them.

Well that’s what Guernsey have just done as he didn’t reduce the head count as planned, as our headcount has gone up why is Greenhow still in role?

https://guernseypress.com/news/2021/08/26/states-chief-executive-removed-from-his-role/

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Ramseyboi said:

that wording is quite confusing/telling,     they claim they are roundels  yet say treat them as any 'other' roundabout ,  to be an 'other' they would have to be roundabouts themselves and not roundels in the first place.  it really is thick cunt central running the show.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, quilp said:

Ramseyboi's link tells you to use it as a roundabout: slow down, observe and move off. If everyone treats it as such it won't be a problem. The only problem I can see is expecting the dulled awareness of local drivers to take a little bit of extra care on approach and giving way where it's sensible. We'll quickly get used to it, I'm sure. Any accidents will be the result of lack of due care and attention and plain old poor driving. It won't stop those get-out-of-my-way-arrogant-bastard motorists who'll continue to barrel-over roundabouts and who present the biggest danger here.

I envisage lots of Mexican stand offs.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Banker said:

Well that’s what Guernsey have just done as he didn’t reduce the head count as planned, as our headcount has gone up why is Greenhow still in role?

https://guernseypress.com/news/2021/08/26/states-chief-executive-removed-from-his-role/

Holy sh1t..... 40 years in Cyril's Service and they've only just found out that he's not up to it??

2 hours ago, WTF said:

so is it legally a roundabout in the eyes of the road traffic act or just a shared space and you can go where you like on it ? ?

It's not a roundabout unless there is a sign saying it's a roundabout as you approach.

A dotted white line indicates that you do not need to stop but must give way.

These have none of those things so no one has the right of way. 

image.png.d7ebdd67f6fcd6ae38ea01de068c03dc.png

43 minutes ago, Max Power said:

Too much deadwood clogging up the system. Clear it out and the system will work better.