Promenade - Megathread

slinkydevil

16 minutes ago, James Blonde said:

Tesco making an offer for the bus yard is supposedly back on the table too. There's been survey work going on up near Cooil Road for a new depot.

That's very Longworth isn't it?  Let's spend loads of money building a new depot that will mean longer journeys/costs to bring the buses to/from there.  No doubt the money from Tesco would only be a small portion of the capital cost and the additional costs would be permanent.

But no doubt it will be spun as a triumph of 'saving' money.

3 hours ago, Roger Mexico said:

That's very Longworth isn't it?  Let's spend loads of money building a new depot that will mean longer journeys/costs to bring the buses to/from there.  No doubt the money from Tesco would only be a small portion of the capital cost and the additional costs would be permanent.

But no doubt it will be spun as a triumph of 'saving' money.

And in Braddan too. The poison thorn in the side of DBC.

41 minutes ago, Roxanne said:

I drove along there for the first time tonight. It felt like driving through something I’ve ever seen before. Disney meets Star Wars meets extremely poor taste. 

Spotting the Elect Rick Railway glaring out in luminous fushia pink. I actually nearly cried. 

I think the prom lights are really good. The old festoon lights were tacky

• Sad 1

39 minutes ago, Roxanne said:

I drove along there for the first time tonight. It felt like driving through something I’ve ever seen before. Disney meets Star Wars meets extremely poor taste. 

Spotting the Elect Rick Railway glaring out in luminous fushia pink. I actually nearly cried. 

Maybe it's a massive piece of artwork and Laurence Skelly will reveal he is actually Banksy all this time.

"It really puts the Isle of Man on the map, and could be worth a billion dollars in potential tourist revenue."

• Haha 4

On 12/18/2021 at 8:12 AM, Non-Believer said:

I heard it and wondered if it was to be an "impartial" go-between, between the Minister and the Departmental CS (who can't be trusted/relied upon etc etc).

Then again, it might just be the beginnings of an extra layer....

ETA found it

Screenshot_20211218-083200_Chrome.jpg

If the minister is looking for "impartial" advice then the position shouldn't be an IOMG post. If such a position were called for then it should be paid from the Tynwald budget. Or the Minister employs and pays for a researcher/adviser out of their own pocket.

• Like 4

On 12/19/2021 at 11:38 AM, Boris Johnson said:

And the road in now that narrow its cant accommodate 2 buses in opposite directions.......................

It’s completely log jammed down there this afternoon just with cars trying to get through. The whole of the run from the Villiers to the Sefton doesn’t seem to flow at all and that’s without the horse trams. It’s going to be chaos when they get in service. 

10 minutes ago, Paulos The Great said:

It’s completely log jammed down there this afternoon just with cars trying to get through. The whole of the run from the Villiers to the Sefton doesn’t seem to flow at all and that’s without the horse trams. It’s going to be chaos when they get in service. 

The horse trams will make no difference on the section you quote as if they are ever put there they will be off the road to the side. 

You are right though it does not flow and cars backing into the angled parking hold up the traffic much more than previously as the road is so much narrower

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ellanvannin2010 said:

The horse trams will make no difference on the section you quote as if they are ever put there they will be off the road to the side. 

You are right though it does not flow and cars backing into the angled parking hold up the traffic much more than previously as the road is so much narrower

And you only need one car to double park on the landward side and the whole scheme is screwed up.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, snowman said:

"you only need one person to be a prick, park illegally and the whole scheme is screwed up"

taxis and ambulances would be the usual suspects, and the cars dropping off doris to go to the shops while george finds a parking space.