Promenade - Megathread

slinkydevil

14 minutes ago, Dave Hedgehog said:

I don't mind the ev spaces but the special reserved space for the Methodist church pisses me off a bit.

There’s no rule for it in the TRO so it’s not enforceable. I did raise this already :) 

25 minutes ago, WTF said:

are hybrids allowed in EV spaces to charge ?

I would have thought anything that can be charged by plugging in. Mist hybrids don't but some do. I would have thought that you need to be plugged in to park.

Not sure about the legal situation or if there is legislation to fine anyone who parks in such a space. 

I would have thought it would be a byelaw similar to parking offences in car parks....but I am guessing. 

15 minutes ago, Two-lane said:

Are these places reserved for EVs as a vehicle type, or are they reserved for EVs that require charging? i.e. is it illegal for an EV to occupy a charging point, but not use it?

The ones I have seen in the UK say it's an offence to park any vehicle in the space unless they are 'charging'. Not sure about ours. However charging is often considered plugged in. So people plug them in then don't move away once charged. It seems to be causing all sorts of falling out. 

I guess it will sort itself out. I'm going down there today. I'll see what it says on the sign. 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Amadeus said:

The spaces are for charging. If you can charge your vehicle by plugging it in there you can park there. If you park an EV without charging you can get a ticket. 

so if you have a run of the mill motorhome, can you park up to 'charge' your leisure batteries ?

What we need is charging points that display to parking controllers what time the charging process was completed. Then those who transgress can get a lovely revenue-raising ticket the same as everybody else 😁

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

What we need is charging points that display to parking controllers what time the charging process was completed. Then those who transgress can get a lovely revenue-raising ticket the same as everybody else 😁

There’s a time limit on the space itself. That’s enough. Technically when I plug in I’m always charging so complicating things that way makes no sense. 

46 minutes ago, Amadeus said:

There’s a time limit on the space itself. That’s enough. Technically when I plug in I’m always charging so complicating things that way makes no sense. 

Does the time limit start the moment the car is plugged in? If so, then that's reasonable. Except of course when the space is not occupied no one else is allowed to park there. 

I sincerely hope there is capacity to increase the number of EV charging points from the next 8 years onwards. What plans are in place with DBC to meet the expected demand?

You’re only allowed to park there if you charge so plug in when you park or get ticket (in theory). There’s a five year plan and MUA is adding points based on the EU 1 to 10 ratio, but I keep highlighting that the number of EVs will grow faster than currently anticipated. That five year plan goes to 2025 I think, then they’ll do a new one. 

Already pushing this in DBC as well. Six disabled spaces in shaws brow are being converted to dual use disabled and EV charging. Exploring other options too. Much to be done in coming years.