Promenade - Megathread

slinkydevil

4 minutes ago, Numbnuts said:

Yes but as there fixed the wheels wont deal with what in affect is a sharp change in direction . The predominant action will to go straight driven by the wheel sets but the rails are curved. Hence the jamming and the derailing. 

Thanks for clarifying. I was beginning to think that they had actually re-sized/re-aligned the gauge to allow the tram to get round, which as we know is not possible. The degree of curve as it is will never allow a horse tram to travel safely, you can tell that just by looking at it. The designers and IL are thick twats.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, ellanvannin2010 said:

It should not be, certainly when I was involved laying track we widened the gauge slightly on sharp curves to reduce wear and friction.

Dont you think , as I do , that the sweep of the curve is too severe for the Horse trams and wheel sets to deal with regardless ? 

12 minutes ago, Numbnuts said:

Dont you think , as I do , that the sweep of the curve is too severe for the Horse trams and wheel sets to deal with regardless ? 

I do as there is no need for it to be so sharp and S bends cause their own problems. One of the features of the current railway management regime is to replace nice sweeping shallow curves with sharp ones followed by straight bits. Look for examples of this at the relaid Laxey station and along the prom.

But they are the experts with all the paper qualifications 

Edited by ellanvannin2010
  • Like 2

55 minutes ago, Numbnuts said:

AS someone pointed out earlier - there are tighter curves at the tram shed

1 hour ago, Numbnuts said:

Wow...did you not see the rail guys pushing the tram !!! They can be pushed easily by one man and in fact once running momentum keeps them moving. The horses are not struggling or exerting to carry out the task.  There bred as work horses and only do a couple of trips before being changed.  

It's not so easy when it's loaded up with 30 lard arse trainspotters

13 minutes ago, Youaintseenme said:

Does anyone know what lines they were painting this morning when the fire on the wagon got out of hand and the road got closed?

I am hoping for either proper marking at the roundels, zig zags at the crossings, or even proper black and white crossing markings?

My money is on parking lines where the newly laid surface has recently been repaired though.

Pretty sure it was the parking lines, going by water everywhere. These line painting people have been a bit unlucky recently, haven’t they? 

7FFDEA1A-64A8-49C5-9566-237817A8A91B.jpeg

57AE0E77-F6F3-4BE4-A539-84F93C164BA1.jpeg

7529CA26-4D7C-4FDC-8DE3-D60E255A5830.jpeg