Promenade - Megathread

slinkydevil

28 minutes ago, John Wright said:

Is that for the combination of the tracks where the swerve across the prom and into single line working at Castle Mona Avenue or a crossover interchange at The Castle Mona  between the double line working?

I think they mean Castle Mona Avenue.

Be a bit of digging up to do anything by the Castle Mona now. Seem to call it just Castle Mona for some reason

image.thumb.png.04adfd398a8413b2c532ee664eac142e.png

Edited by ellanvannin2010

18 minutes ago, Omobono said:

looking at the area where the rails cross over  there is a huge gap , and I sincerely hope its not such a size that it would  trap a horses  hoof or pull a shoe off ,  I watched someone cut a section out of the rails and weld a piece in , the other day  but from my scant engineering  experience the rails are made of cast steel which is hardened ,  the weld is made from much softer  metal and I can see it wearing badly in a short length  of time , it looks like they have been grinding the inner face of the rails ,possibly to get the trams wheels from binding on the angle , I was further heartened by someone telling be if there were vehicles other than cars parked on the promenade  it will be too tight to get  a  vehicle passed  between the parked vehicle and the tram , 

we await  the relaunch  and operation of the horse tram  service with some interest 

I had a quick look today at the welding, some seems to be to where the rail is of different sections and they have welded a bit to stop there being a sudden 90 degree change in the groove width, not sure why the point rails could not have been the same section.

Looks awful.

Because the whole set up is one big f$#&up. Do not forget the system is no longer a heritage rail system and will now have to conform to national rail regulations. Which I imagine will call for an inspection that it has to pass before a horse/electric tram is allowed to proceed with a single paying passenger. No wonder Longshite is jumping ship. 

• Like 4

Does whatever new arrangement there is at Castle Mona Ave still involve walking the Horse from the front to the back of the Tram???In this new narrow roadway, is that a safe and acceptable way to proceed? I know it's been done for years at the south end of the Prom but we are much more aware these days of safety and not putting the Horses at unnecessary risk.

Is there any arrangement that is 2020's acceptable???

5 minutes ago, Kopek said:

Does whatever new arrangement there is at Castle Mona Ave still involve walking the Horse from the front to the back of the Tram???In this new narrow roadway, is that a safe and acceptable way to proceed? I know it's been done for years at the south end of the Prom but we are much more aware these days of safety and not putting the Horses at unnecessary risk.

There is no front and back on the tram🤣.

Where they will take the horse from one end to the other is not on the roadway anyway although I can imagine people taking the wrong turn and driving on it.

7 - 8 years ago we had a functioning, largely authentic, horse-drawn Victorian Tram system on Douglas Promenade, which ran its full length, end to end. It was one of our "Heritage Attractions".

Then the biggest collection of muppets and bellends ever assembled under one Public Sector roof got involved in a hugely expensive (to the taxpayers) job justification and ego massaging process.

Now we have what.....?

Edited by Non-Believer
extra bit
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 7

7 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

7 - 8 years ago we had a functioning, largely authentic, horse-drawn Victorian Tram system on Douglas Promenade.

Then the biggest collection of muppets and bellends ever assembled under one Public Sector roof got involved in a hugely expensive (to the taxpayers) job justification and ego massaging process.

Now we have what.....?

There's a nice new shed for the trams to live in.

19 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

7 - 8 years ago we had a functioning, largely authentic, horse-drawn Victorian Tram system on Douglas Promenade.

Now we have what.....?

Something that will be talked about in decades to come how one department assisted by a bullying equally useless director of transport managed to design and implement the complete total cockup of what should have been a straightforward contract. We are now left with something that has been bodged to get even close to finish and indeed will it ever be. And they dont care ! Robinson was brought over to run the Incinerator and somehow managed to become Director of Highways who for the most part was watched over by Nick Black who came over initially as a weights and measure lacky . Mind blowing as clearly neither has or had a clue. God knows what the 'qualities' of others in DOI are !.    

Edited by Numbnuts
  • Like 2

59 minutes ago, Kopek said:

Horse Tram turntable 

Jeeze, the prom is narrow enough without turntables!!!

There's now a kerb in the middle of the road which does not follow the natural contour of the road direction?

I thought this was a consideration of road design???

Edited by Kopek

5 minutes ago, Kopek said:

Jeeze, the prom is narrow enough without turntables!!!

There's now a kerb in the middle of the road which does not follow the natural contour of the road direction?

I thought this was a consideration of road design???

You think they designed any of this?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Numbnuts said:

And they dont care ! Robinson was brought over to run the Incinerator and somehow managed to become Director of Highways who for the most part was watched over by Nick Black who came over initially as a weights and measure lacky . Mind blowing as clearly neither has or had a clue. God knows what the 'qualities' of others in DOI are !.    

That is staggering. Truly staggering!