Promenade - Megathread

slinkydevil

16 minutes ago, Kopek said:

It's to reduce the noise level!  All to keep AOR happy. Is he going to pay for it?

Skimming off the top of the rails will make no difference. They've bolted them directly to the concrete foundation pad... that's what's making the noise.

• Thanks 1

There is the slight possibility that each winter the rain and salt water will cause the surface of the rails to become corroded.  Each year they will need to be planed down to give a nice smooth surface. Anyone here going to make an estimate of the working life of the rails?

16 minutes ago, 0bserver said:

Skimming off the top of the rails will make no difference. They've bolted them directly to the concrete foundation pad... that's what's making the noise.

I know that normal railway rails are bolted to wooden sleepers and this will obviously provide some significant isolation against vibration etc.

What do they usually do with 'road' rails like on metro trams etc?  Are they on some sort rubber riser pads or something?

18 minutes ago, 0bserver said:

No they haven't. The first bit they had but from before the Queens pub they lifted the rails and fitted pads between concrete and rails. Further on they lifted the rails , or lowered the concrete level actually , all to try and reduce noise and vibration levels. 

2 hours ago, The Phantom said:

I know that normal railway rails are bolted to wooden sleepers and this will obviously provide some significant isolation against vibration etc.

What do they usually do with 'road' rails like on metro trams etc?  Are they on some sort rubber riser pads or something?

Yes , I watched and noted the changes in working practices as they made progress . As I mentioned above there has been a few changes have happened along the way to try and elimate the issues flagged up.

Edited by Numbnuts
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, The Phantom said:

Pads and surrounded in some sort of flexible resin type materialimage.thumb.png.0d9990cfe31c1fa969b7e1487d79aa09.png

Edited by ellanvannin2010
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, The Phantom said:

Well according to this manual from 2008:

All of the second generation tramways built thus far in the UK and Ireland  are characterised by having track forms in which:
• the rails are encapsulated in an elastic polymer material, which serves as both an electrical insulator (against stray current) and a vibration isolator/damper (against noise and vibration)

A lot more interesting things in that section, all of which appear to have been ignored at various times.  Of course they were specifically not supposed to be building a new light rail system, but reinstating a heritage one, but appear to have ended up with something that works for neither.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Two-lane said:

There is the slight EVERY possibility that each winter the rain and salt water will cause the surface of the rails to become corroded.  Each year they will need to be planed down to give a nice smooth surface. Anyone here going to make an estimate of the working life of the rails?

Corrected.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Two-lane said:

There is the slight possibility that each winter the rain and salt water will cause the surface of the rails to become corroded.  Each year they will need to be planed down to give a nice smooth surface. Anyone here going to make an estimate of the working life of the rails?

You might be right but I hope this is just a one off to remove  corrosion pitting on the rail head due to the rails having been in storage for many years.

You may remember a stretch of track on the MER between Majestic and Boncomptes(or whatever it is now) which was laid with secondhand short 15ft rails  from I think some ex MOD depot. The rails had a rolling date of 1918 and I don't think had been used since then. The pitting on the rail head was awful and took several years to wear away. The racket as you drove along them was loud even on wooden sleepers.

Edited by ellanvannin2010

21 minutes ago, The Phantom said:

These are the general UK standards... they don't seem to have followed any of them really. 

18 minutes ago, Numbnuts said:

No they haven't. The first bit they had but from before the Queens pub they lifted the rails and fitted pads between concrete and rails. Further on they lifted the rails , or lowered the concrete level actually , all to try and reduce noise and vibration levels. 

That's good to know, but without the rails having a rubber compound either side of them it will make little difference. 

6 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

Well according to this manual from 2008:

All of the second generation tramways built thus far in the UK and Ireland  are characterised by having track forms in which:
• the rails are encapsulated in an elastic polymer material, which serves as both an electrical insulator (against stray current) and a vibration isolator/damper (against noise and vibration)

A lot more interesting things in that section, all of which appear to have been ignored at various times.  Of course they were specifically not supposed to be building a new light rail system, but reinstating a heritage one, but appear to have ended up with something that works for neither.

Handy document thanks.  With this manual, I'd be confident of completing the task myself. 

Can't be that dissimilar from watching a Youtube tutorial on bleeding boilers/radiators, fitting taps, tiling etc.  😁

13 hours ago, Numbnuts said:

There planing the top of the rails to help stop the noise . They did it to some of the finished tracks last year and again by guys from across.  

At least that was what Longworth had to say on the matter.

But unless the rails are used continuously they will go rusty and pitted again, so what is the point? The clippity clop of horses hooves on tarmac are louder than the ring that sounds off the rails.