Promenade - Megathread

slinkydevil

3 hours ago, Numbnuts said:

Well a very good friend of mine this morning decided to call out the DOI and particularly Tim Baker's performance in Manx radio last week claiming the Prom cracking wasn't so bad  .  Over a approx 350m stretch between Great Western and TT shirts shop he countered 131 cracks in the center panel of red concrete and in the small fringe on the building side  he countered 241 cracks . So apparently a total of 372 over a short stretch isn't deemed worrying or bad 

I've been pretty disappointed with Baker's handling of this, so far. He came to the party after most of the damage was done, i.e. the poor design, the poor construction, horse trams being prioritised over everything else, constant over promising/under delivering.

He had a chance to be a political new broom. Accepting that the whole thing is a fiasco, banging a few heads together, sacking a few incompetents and generally getting the public and business behind him. 

Instead, he's just gone native..............

BTW, the latest minutes published, from 8th November, show that (Item 2.11) 66% of the contingency budget has already been spent. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Numbnuts said:

Well a very good friend of mine this morning decided to call out the DOI and particularly Tim Baker's performance in Manx radio last week claiming the Prom cracking wasn't so bad  .  Over a approx 350m stretch between Great Western and TT shirts shop he countered 131 cracks in the center panel of red concrete and in the small fringe on the building side  he countered 241 cracks . So apparently a total of 372 over a short stretch isn't deemed worrying or bad 

It is badly cracked you can tell even driving along. It goes right back to statements I’ve heard from lots of people more in the know on the construction side of things that if there is no expansion gap or give between two very differently performing materials like steel and concrete then what honestly did they expect? 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, pongo said:

I cannot understand why the government has not simply chosen to take the prom rebuild as an opportunity to get rid of the old tourist horse trams for good.

Was there a conscious decision to keep them for some reason?

It seems that we have to maintain government over employment and enormous project opportunities for public sector managers to manage somehow. If you look back at what’s been spent since the DOI took it off Douglas Corpy - the depot has been knocked down and rebuilt at enormous cost, a huge temporary shed tent gone up, millions spent on everything including new rails. They’re now talking about knocking the stables down and rebuilding at a cost of about £3m. If they’d have just taken the trams out and put a road in it wouldn’t have maintained a load of government jobs pissing about holding up the Manx economy for years and nearly bankrupting shop owners as well as creating years of needless commuter misery so they can fanny about spending all this money to make them look like they’re doing something. What would be the logic in that (for them)? 

Edited by thesultanofsheight
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Nellie said:

I've been pretty disappointed with Baker's handling of this, so far. He came to the party after most of the damage was done, i.e. the poor design, the poor construction, horse trams being prioritised over everything else, constant over promising/under delivering.

He had a chance to be a political new broom. Accepting that the whole thing is a fiasco, banging a few heads together, sacking a few incompetents and generally getting the public and business behind him. 

Instead, he's just gone native..............

BTW, the latest minutes published, from 8th November, show that (Item 2.11) 66% of the contingency budget has already been spent. 

"pretty disappointed" that has to be the understatement of the century. "Fucking disgusted" would be a more apt description

• Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, thesultanofsheight said:

It seems that we have to maintain government over employment and enormous project opportunities for public sector managers to manage somehow. If you look back at what’s been spent since the DOI took it off Douglas Corpy - the depot has been knocked down and rebuilt at enormous cost, a huge temporary shed tent gone up, millions spent on everything including new rails. They’re now talking about knocking the stables down and rebuilding at a cost of about £3m. If they’d have just taken the trams out and put a road in it wouldn’t have maintained a load of government jobs pissing about holding up the Manx economy for years and nearly bankrupting shop owners as well as creating years of needless commuter misery so they can fanny about spending all this money to make them look like they’re doing something. What would be the logic in that (for them)? 

It's for VAT generation. I'm convinced of it. All the materials, contractor time and equipment, all with VAT added. It must all swell the VAT claim to HMRC.

Because no organisation in its right mind would undertake and manage a project in this fashion unless there was an ulterior motive?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Nellie said:

I had him down, a one of the few members likely to display a bit more honesty, integrity and realism, about the mess he has got drawn into, and what needs to be done to fix it. 

Assimilation into the Borg is non negotiable!

• Haha 3

3 hours ago, Sentience said:

How do they intend to level off the height difference between the pink/rail level and that which we are supposed to drive on?

Can't see how they can as there governed by pavement and entrance to properties levels I'd have thought . So I'd say it will be a camber on the road . But who knows ! Probably not DOI either .