Promenade - Megathread

slinkydevil

4 hours ago, On The Bus said:

It now appears the existing gas main has been damaged/cocked up leading to their latest dig site being abandoned. 

If any visitor asks what's going on along the Prom this summer, I'm just telling them Tony Robinson and the Time Team are in town.

https://www.facebook.com/2163403463905849/posts/2505913286321530/

Don't be ridiculous - they always finished their jobs in three days.  DoI three decades.

Scottish Parliament Building overspend, for instance - "Ministers kept in the dark"

Hmmmmm. I wonder how often they let Harmer and Baker out of the locked cupboard to see the light of day?

24 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

Scottish Parliament Building overspend, for instance - "Ministers kept in the dark"

(from the BBC link above) and from Audit Scotland..."Lessons must be learnt".

I think when any person is employed in the public purse, they should be warned that even whispering that phrase will result in immediate dismissal and loss of all pension.

Edited by gettafa
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Non-Believer said:

Hmmmmm. I wonder how often they let Harmer and Baker out of the locked cupboard to see the light of day?

they've turned into morlocks and don't want to come out in case they get asked questions.

6 hours ago, gettafa said:

(from the BBC link above) and from Audit Scotland..."Lessons must be learnt".

I think when any person is employed in the public purse, they should be warned that even whispering that phrase will result in immediate dismissal and loss of all pension.

Come to the IOM we've had decades of learning lessons ..... allegedly !

8 minutes ago, english zloty said:

https://www.three.fm/news/isle-of-man-news/redevelopment-of-promenade-to-start-today/

Here's phase 1, largely being dug up again, but that's beside the point.

Add a permanently closed lane and the artists impression is a mirror image of reality? :D

Douglas Promenade

Like this?

1 minute ago, GD4ELI said:

Douglas Promenade

Like this?

Why they are redoing this bit is a bit of a mystery. Granted the article is from 2013 but there may actually be a clue in the article "David Cretney believes the work is also a welcome boost to the construction industry".

Is the whole of the prom work just to keep the construction trade alive on the Island? No need to build houses get them building roads? Also listening to that will the £1.5 million for this section be factored into the final costs? Final question: what are the chances of this bit being ready when the hooded ram put their tent up in TT week?

1 hour ago, On The Bus said:

Aren't they just now doing the bit that the tram campaigners stopped them doing the first time? 

Yes! The bit they are digging up now was untouched in the original Phase one, back in 2013.

The long narrow island, and the carriageway on the land side, was rebuilt, but the strip of roadway on the seaside, next to the Bottleneck Car Park, was not dug up then. 

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Nellie said:

Yes! The bit they are digging up now was untouched in the original Phase one, back in 2013.

Wow, I didn't realise it was that long ago! So by the time the Prom is finished it will have been almost 10 years from start to finish to redo about 1.5m of road. Only in the Isle of Man!