Promenade - Megathread

slinkydevil

4 hours ago, Neil Down said:

just a quick question (apologies if it's been covered before) but if Longworth "retired" in Jan 2019 why was he still listed as Director Public Transport at subsequent board meetings. Hadn't Ian Bates assumed that roll by then?

It's been covered before - there was even a whole separate topic in which you participated.  Presumably the horror wiped it from your mind.  Seek trauma counselling (we probably all need after considering what the DoI gets up to).

44 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

It's been covered before - there was even a whole separate topic in which you participated.  Presumably the horror wiped it from your mind.  Seek trauma counselling (we probably all need after considering what the DoI gets up to).

Thanks Roger but the bit that eluded me was him taking a seat on the board as Director when he had in fact relinquished that post to Ian Bates

14 minutes ago, Neil Down said:

Thanks Roger but the bit that eluded me was him taking a seat on the board as Director when he had in fact relinquished that post to Ian Bates

The original announcement quoted 'A spokesman' as saying:

Whilst the role of director could not be delivered on a part-time basis, Ian can and will continue to manage a number of the department’s major capital projects.

Ian has the right to continue working as long as he wishes but has indicated that this move is part of a process that will lead up to his eventual retirement.

Basically he seems to have got bored with the day to day stuff and just wanted to play about with all the big-spending parts of the job (though no doubt with no loss of income).  So he was always going to continue to involve himself on the Prom fiasco.  Presumably whoever wrote up the minutes couldn't be bothered to change his title and no one else could be bothered to correct it.

1 hour ago, Roger Mexico said:

Basically he seems to have got bored with the day to day stuff and just wanted to play about with all the big-spending parts of the job (though no doubt with no loss of income).  So he was always going to continue to involve himself on the Prom fiasco.  Presumably whoever wrote up the minutes couldn't be bothered to change his title and no one else could be bothered to correct it.

Probably dawned on him that he would shortly require a new car...

• Haha 2

9 hours ago, Numbnuts said:

Well I have it on very good authority that the original budget was very generous on contingencies so that's I guess possible . However looking at lack of action recently , well since they started really , I can't see it not costing a lot more . No sign of the rail gang for a few weeks now and they were supposed to have the rails in the latest plan finished to Castle Mona avenue by end of January !!! Yes not even close and they  announced that timescale beginning of January so as we know they haven't a clue and still think we are idiots .

Eh? They were laying rails yesterday when I walked past them by Castle Mona shops. Loads of resurfacing being done Jaks to the rendezvous corner. So 'lack of activity' is a bit of poetic license isn't it?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Roger Mexico said:

He couldn't even run a bath without fucking that up.

13 minutes ago, cheesypeas said:

Eh? They were laying rails yesterday when I walked past them by Castle Mona shops. Loads of resurfacing being done Jaks to the rendezvous corner. So 'lack of activity' is a bit of poetic license isn't it?

you sure they were . When I went past it was preparing rebar for concreting which they did today as went past with concrete wagons there . No sign of the firm from across doing anything with rails that I saw. 

46 minutes ago, cheesypeas said:

Don't try and stop a lynching now cheesy:D

• Like 1

On 2/14/2020 at 3:43 PM, gettafa said:

I realise this must be a stupid question but why didn't they start at one end and work towards the other, at least in sections?

On 2/14/2020 at 4:38 PM, kevster said:

It allows for the most efficient use of plant. 
for example, the machine that breaks up the tarmac can start working on the next bit instead of sitting idle. 

Interesting. Yes, some fool has probably come up with that one, and felt mug for making a relatively small saving.

It just makes the whole shebang totally inefficient, for the sake of some plant?

What about the efficient use of labour, for example. Long stretches of the prom closed off with no one working on it for days/weeks (months?) on end.

The inefficiency of the promenade itself not working properly, to say nothing of the effect on buildings and businesses.

The huge £1000s it is costing to hire all the signs and fencework.

etc

etc

• Like 1

It's one big fuck up. The contractor is out of control as no one on the employer's side (the Government) has a fucking clue how to control them. The money will just keep pouring out of the coffers.

The Isle of Man Government needs to employ someone to get a grip of the contract.

If they already have then they need to fuck 'em off and get someone else.

(please excuse the effin' and blindin')

• Like 2

But they have, there are “consultants”from the UK running the prom works on behalf of the DOI costing a fortune by all accounts. They must have everything in the UK running that smooth that they can afford to lose these experts! The firm they work for must be rubbing there hands with glee thinking, to quote the old Irish Eurovision winner “ what’s another year” FFS DOI get a grip.

7 minutes ago, Beelzebub3 said:

But they have, there are “consultants”from the UK running the prom works on behalf of the DOI costing a fortune by all accounts. They must have everything in the UK running that smooth that they can afford to lose these experts! The firm they work for must be rubbing there hands with glee thinking, to quote the old Irish Eurovision winner “ what’s another year” FFS DOI get a grip.

The 'consultants' are a company called Burroughs, who nominally have a Manx subsidiary, Burroughs Stewart Associates in the Island but any social media I can find for them looks dead or absent.  Mr A Burroughs is listed as the Scheme Project Manager in the minutes of the Strategic Board Meeting and he is the Chairman of the company.  Obviously there are also a lot of DoI managers with inflated titles there as well, but Burroughs seem to be expected to actually do the work.

Despite not much local online presence, they are certainly the favourite consultants for DoI and other Manx Government scheme however.  A scroll through their projects page will show that they were involved in a long list of projects from IRIS to the Airport runway, control tower and radar plus lots of smaller stuff for the railways and so on.  Indeed they seem to have been involved in nearly every government 'success' in the last couple of decades.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1