Promenade - Megathread

slinkydevil

26 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

Actually, before i send an email, let me just check my facts. When did the prom work start? Been that I long I don't have a clue. And how long was it supposed to take? And how far behind is it according to our government? We all know it's further behind than they say, but I'll stick with official for now. Ta!

Well I think the Church Road part started about end of  November and was supposed to finish end of this month . Somehow they now have to take another 6 months to do what was supposed to take 3 plus ...so 9 plus , impressive you have to admit to be 200% longer in such a short contract . 

Edited by Numbnuts

Jeez, it's bad,and yet most of us ordinary mortals prophesied this would happen but we were, as usual, labelled as doomsayers. Is there some weird barrier that our govt. folk go through that robs them of any sense or shame or decency?

Edited by doc.fixit

This should be on https://www.myprom.im/ surely? I mean it's absolutley fantastic that we have been 'highly commended' for the amazing work on the horse tram rails. This is great news for a small Island. The Department of Enterprise are missing a trick if they can't see this is as leverage to more tourism dollars.

Well done guys, outstanding work.

48836221258_4e29d1456f_b.jpg

700868-1.jpg

12 minutes ago, slinkydevil said:

Fair dos this was reported somewhere in the local press at the time:

Unlikely award of year goes to horse tramway
http://www.iomtoday.co.im/article.cfm?id=52832&headline=Unlikely award of year goes to horse tramway&sectionIs=news&searchyear=2019

Yes, that was when it was less of a mess than it is now and presumably not as far over budget.

"And the award for the Best CGI of a tramway goes to.....The DOI!"

Wonder if the organisers can reclaim their award..? :lol:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, quilp said:

I wonder, if in October, there'll be a contingent of the DoI travelling to Derby to attend the 'Dinner at the Roundhouse' soiree? At £350 for a single ticket.

If it truly is a one way ticket to an off island event and they don't come back then £350 is a bargain and we should send all senior DOI management! 

1 hour ago, slinkydevil said:

This should be on https://www.myprom.im/ surely? I mean it's absolutley fantastic that we have been 'highly commended' for the amazing work on the horse tram rails. This is great news for a small Island. The Department of Enterprise are missing a trick if they can't see this is as leverage to more tourism dollars.

Well done guys, outstanding work.

48836221258_4e29d1456f_b.jpg

700868-1.jpg

What are they supposedly future proofing? Future proofing would be moving them to the Wild Life Park so they could continue to lose money along with the other animals there. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, On The Bus said:

What are they supposedly future proofing? Future proofing would be moving them to the Wild Life Park so they could continue to lose money along with the other animals there. 

Its not the wild life park along the prom? :o 

Here's me thinking that the fencing was part of their latest strategy based on Jurrasic Park with electric cars/trams taking passengers through the mounds of seaweed, although I'm led to understand that the dinosaurs never died out at all and were renamed to that of Tyranntasoreasses MHK's! .... :P

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Numbnuts said:

Well I think the Church Road part started about end of  November and was supposed to finish end of this month . Somehow they now have to take another 6 months to do what was supposed to take 3 plus ...so 9 plus , impressive you have to admit to be 200% longer in such a short contract . 

I believe they were actually only opening the road up again temporarily before closing it down again in June / July so this could in fact be an acceleration of the work. However, as per usual the DoI haven't communicated it properly. Be interesting to see what the reasoning for the extension is in the minutes.

7 minutes ago, manxy said:

Its not the wild life park along the prom? :o 

Here's me thinking that the fencing was part of their latest strategy based on Jurrasic Park with electric cars/trams taking passengers through the mounds of seaweed, although I'm led to understand that the dinosaurs never died out at all and were renamed to that of Tyranntasoreasses MHK's! .... :P

We've certainly got a PS with raptor-like tendencies when it comes to money and their pensions...

21 minutes ago, Ham_N_Eggs said:

I believe they were actually only opening the road up again temporarily before closing it down again in June / July so this could in fact be an acceleration of the work. However, as per usual the DoI haven't communicated it properly. Be interesting to see what the reasoning for the extension is in the minutes.

Hahahahahahahahaha did you use acceleration and work in a sentence about the prom

• Haha 1