Promenade - Megathread

slinkydevil

20 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

It's to allow Sefton patrons to be serenaded on their balconies by selected quartets, street theatre exponents  and poets.

Selected quartets? 

More like pissheads from Sam Webbs and Quids Inn vomming on the motorbike statue and shitting  among the flower beds

• Haha 1

Excellent - a cultural quarter. Especially for fucking cultured people like me. Usually wash my hands after a poo; I like Radio 4 afternoon theatre with a latte and a Hob-Nob and I know who painted Whistler’s Mother (Buchanan & Pitts). So the rest of you uncouth bastards can piss off to the ‘Not Remotely Cultured What-So-Fucking-Ever Quarter’ and leave me in peace. I look forward to the subsequent creation of the cultural half and eventually the cultural whole.

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

11 minutes ago, On The Bus said:

Selected quartets? 

More like pissheads from Sam Webbs and Quids Inn vomming on the motorbike statue and shitting  among the flower beds

Such ilk will be banished from the new look paved and cultured Douglas in order not to offend the 400k+ pa tourists.

They will be interned at Knockaloe where a newly resurrected branch line of the railway will allow said tourists to safely observe them in their natural environment from the passing train, vomming on the walkways, shitting in what they think are unobserved corners and shooting up in quieter moments.

39 minutes ago, dilligaf said:

Probably more true than you think. :o
I know I may not be the brightest light on the tree, but what are the pink concrete bits on Loch Prom for , if the trams are going to run on the seaward side of the road?

I'd heard it's to make a break between the two lanes  of traffic but not 100% sure that's  the case . Will find out 

Edited by Numbnuts

There's a fair difference in the quality of the finish between the Loch and Queens concrete. Despite all the cracking over by the Queens you can tell that whoever finished it at least took some pride, the stuff at Loch Prom less so. Most people probably wouldn't notice.

Edit - I should add that getting a perfect finish on concrete in winter in the Isle of Man is a pain in the ass, and I do not envy the guys doing it on the prom at all.

Edited by TheTeapot
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, dilligaf said:

I know I may not be the brightest light on the tree, but what are the pink concrete bits on Loch Prom for , if the trams are going to run on the seaward side of the road

The pink concrete on Loch Prom was a late addition by Starship Enterprise. 

Essentially it's a private jet landing strip so the Ultra High Networth individuals can land right on the Prom and disembark at the new Cultural Quarter before boarding a horse tram to Summerland and the MER to Ramsey where they'll board their private yacht from the new Queens Pier.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, dilligaf said:

Probably more true than you think. :o
I know I may not be the brightest light on the tree, but what are the pink concrete bits on Loch Prom for , if the trams are going to run on the seaward side of the road?

To enable traffic to keep moving when people stop in the middle of the road to wait for a space to become available. 

Same purpose the tram lines used to serve. 

• 2 weeks later...

Okay then, if and when the promenade is finally finished, how do the wonderful people in power intend to deal with what has happened over the last month? By that I mean theoretically, we will have a promenade to be proud of. What happens when we get the high tides and all the crap that was on the prom this morning? How long before this starts to wreck the work completed. Wouldn’t a sea wall prevent this from happening?

8 minutes ago, Neil Down said:

Okay then, if and when the promenade is finally finished, how do the wonderful people in power intend to deal with what has happened over the last month? By that I mean theoretically, we will have a promenade to be proud of. What happens when we get the high tides and all the crap that was on the prom this morning? How long before this starts to wreck the work completed. Wouldn’t a sea wall prevent this from happening?

I don't think it would.  You only have to look at photos of the waves crashing over the Prom to see how high they are.  If you look at the size of a lot of the debris it's too large to pass through the railings - it must have come over the top and by quite a distance if you look where some of it lands up.

To have an effective sea wall it would have to be so tall that you couldn't see the sea - which rather negates the point of having a Prom.

2 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

I don't think it would.  You only have to look at photos of the waves crashing over the Prom to see how high they are.  If you look at the size of a lot of the debris it's too large to pass through the railings - it must have come over the top and by quite a distance if you look where some of it lands up.

To have an effective sea wall it would have to be so tall that you couldn't see the sea - which rather negates the point of having a Prom.

Depends on how high the sea wall.is, if it's about 4ft then midgets, drawves, people in wheelchairs and children won't be able to see but eveyone else will.

34 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

Not really, a 3 - 4 foot sea wall would not stop all of the water but would certainly prevent all the debris landing on the prom. Couple that with a complete beach renovation ie, bulldoze the area so that there is a depth and not a smooth run to the prom

• Thanks 1