Promenade - Megathread

slinkydevil

1 minute ago, slinkydevil said:

Don't worry they'll spunk any savings they make somewhere else. I can't wait to see what Skelly comes up with that 'has an advantage'.

They might not make ny savings as theres for sure been a overspend on whats happened up to now . 

4 minutes ago, Numbnuts said:

They might not make ny savings as theres for sure been a overspend on whats happened up to now . 

They'll break even and they'll spin it to be the biggest success the Island has ever had.

If they do get rid of the single track to the sea terminal it really will be a case of what Longworth wants Longworth gets.

24 minutes ago, Ham_N_Eggs said:

They'll break even and they'll spin it to be the biggest success the Island has ever had.

If they do get rid of the single track to the sea terminal it really will be a case of what Longworth wants Longworth gets.

I thought Longworth wanted the tracks through to sea terminal ?? Only suggested by others as they have forgot nearly a 1 £million  in signal system to allow them to run both ways at the same time 

Edited by Numbnuts

13 minutes ago, Numbnuts said:

I thought Longworth wanted the tracks through to sea terminal ?? Only suggested by others as they have forgot nearly a 1 £million  in signal system to allow them to run both ways at the same time 

For £1million I'll stand there with a flag waving them through. They can pay me in installments. £50,000 per year for the next 20 years.

• Like 4

14 hours ago, Numbnuts said:

Update , while we have so many other stuff to b worrying about it would seem big changes are afoot for our source of much amusement and grief over the last 18 months. 

Allegedly , ! Tynwald will discuss the change of plans on Tuesday when proposals will involve stopping the tram lines at Broadway and not continuing in the near future . Two roundabouts to go and lots more tarmac instead of granite !. No rails laid through to sea terminal and where they were to be its to be grassed so it maybe can rails in the future . All allegedly so potential shit storm on tuesday or wednesday for sure . 

Interesting times ahead and apparently all revised works to finish by end of March ready for the season . Mmmmmm what does everyone think ??? I know what I feel about this but is anyone really surprised if 'allegedly ' this is the end result .  

Footnote . Also apparently all the fancy granite and features around the Sefton are to be ditched also . I find all this incredible and hence why Zi use th word allegedly often as surely ,surely this cant be right but from a very good source . Ive put my head on the block many times before and been correct but surely not !!!??? 

Well, Harmer was clear, the other day, that it will be finished by Easter and that doesn't look possible, if they stick to the original plan. There's just too much complex stuff to be done. So there may be something in it.

However, I would have thought they'd need to go back to planning for such a radical change. That would be sure to bring objections from the horse tram brigade, and perhaps others, and would likely take months to resolve. Then you've got the sheer stupidity of laying a large area of grass on Loch Promenade, which would take the place of parking or road space.

On the other hand, it was always said that Longworth wanted the horse trams to stop at the War Memorial.......maybe he'll get his way.

I wonder if he has any relatives working in the laboratories of Wuhan...... 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Nellie said:

Well, Harmer was clear, the other day, that it will be finished by Easter and that doesn't look possible, if they stick to the original plan. There's just too much complex stuff to be done. So there may be something in it.

However, I would have thought they'd need to go back to planning for such a radical change. That would be sure to bring objections from the horse tram brigade, and perhaps others, and would likely take months to resolve. Then you've got the sheer stupidity of laying a large area of grass on Loch Promenade, which would take the place of parking or road space.

On the other hand, it was always said that Longworth wanted the horse trams to stop at the War Memorial.......maybe he'll get his way.

I wonder if he has any relatives working in the laboratories of Wuhan...... 

I’ve still to see the planning application for the new oxygen plant at Nobles. 

Seriously, it’s a no brained. Crack on with a reduced scheme and apply for retrospective if needed. We mustn’t lose the momentum 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Derek Flint said:

I’ve still to see the planning application for the new oxygen plant at Nobles. 

Seriously, it’s a no brained. Crack on with a reduced scheme and apply for retrospective if needed. We mustn’t lose the momentum 

TBH Derek the momentum was lost after about a week after they started . Its sad that lots of businesses on the Prom are putting up with this mess and now are not likely to get there enhanced pavememt areas as promised. And Covid and finances will be used for the excuse when really its been a total cock up and incompetence from day one .  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Numbnuts said:

Update , while we have so many other stuff to b worrying about it would seem big changes are afoot for our source of much amusement and grief over the last 18 months. 

Allegedly , ! Tynwald will discuss the change of plans on Tuesday when proposals will involve stopping the tram lines at Broadway and not continuing in the near future . Two roundabouts to go and lots more tarmac instead of granite !. No rails laid through to sea terminal and where they were to be its to be grassed so it maybe can rails in the future . All allegedly so potential shit storm on tuesday or wednesday for sure . 

Interesting times ahead and apparently all revised works to finish by end of March ready for the season . Mmmmmm what does everyone think ??? I know what I feel about this but is anyone really surprised if 'allegedly ' this is the end result .  

Footnote . Also apparently all the fancy granite and features around the Sefton are to be ditched also . I find all this incredible and hence why Zi use th word allegedly often as surely ,surely this cant be right but from a very good source . Ive put my head on the block many times before and been correct but surely not !!!??? 

This may be an attempt to get the promenade open and looking respectable, with the remaining work to be treated as individual projects at a later date? It would certainly make a lot of sense and create a lot less disruption. I'd be disappointed if they didn't complete the project eventually though.

• Like 3