Promenade - Megathread

slinkydevil

13 minutes ago, Max Power said:

This may be an attempt to get the promenade open and looking respectable, with the remaining work to be treated as individual projects at a later date? It would certainly make a lot of sense and create a lot less disruption. I'd be disappointed if they didn't complete the project eventually though.

I agree totally with your sentiments but personally if there are going to tarmac instead of granite, not put in roundabouts and other changes I cant see them doing it at a later date . Still not finished Richmond Hill and various stuff wasnt done on HBN school either due to budget so I cant see it tbh .

For all the followers of the Prom regeneration...When driving along this morning and checking out the recent last weeks new laid red concrete it would seem we are on plan D . After the couple of attempts changing the spec to try and deal with the cracking it would now seem they have resorted to an approx 25 mm gap between the rails and the concrete . This would confirm what I've always thought that its not Auldyns fault but a flawed specification from day one . Firstly they laid rails direct into concrete , cracks ! Secondly they lifted the rails and put pads under , cracks ! Thirdly they changed the type of fixings to hold the rails and put more in , cracks ! And now they have allowed a gap between the expanding rails and the new concrete . Something that should have been standard procedure i'd say from day one . No heads will roll in this ongoing saga . 

Edited by Numbnuts
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Numbnuts said:

For all the followers of the Prom regeneration...When driving along this morning and checking out the recent last weeks new laid red concrete it would seem we are on plan D . After the couple of attempts changing the spec to try and deal with the cracking it would now seem they have resorted to an approx 25 mm gap between the rails and the concrete . This would confirm what I've always thought that its not Auldyns fault but a flawed specification from day one . Firstly they laid rails direct into concrete , cracks ! Secondly they lifted the rails and put pads under , cracks ! Thirdly they changed the type of fixings to hold the rails and put more in , cracks ! And now they have allowed a gap between the expanding rails and the new concrete . Something that should have been standard procedure i'd say from day one . No heads will roll in this ongoing saga . 

But many lessons will have been learned...

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

On 5/2/2020 at 7:51 PM, Numbnuts said:

Update , while we have so many other stuff to b worrying about it would seem big changes are afoot for our source of much amusement and grief over the last 18 months. 

Allegedly , ! Tynwald will discuss the change of plans on Tuesday when proposals will involve stopping the tram lines at Broadway and not continuing in the near future . Two roundabouts to go and lots more tarmac instead of granite !. No rails laid through to sea terminal and where they were to be its to be grassed so it maybe can rails in the future . All allegedly so potential shit storm on tuesday or wednesday for sure . 

Just to add, there is nothing about this on the Tynwald agenda, although I do agree that completing the scheme, as is, by Easter 2021 looks impossible!

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Nellie said:

Just to add, there is nothing about this on the Tynwald agenda, although I do agree that completing the scheme, as is, by Easter 2021 looks impossible!

To get that finished by Easter 2021 suggests a lot of corner cutting...

43 minutes ago, Nellie said:

2022 is optimistic for those useless cunts.

1 hour ago, Nellie said:

Harmer mentioned in his briefing the other day that catchup time in tt/mgp plus the reduced traffic and no tourists meaning that the planned landside pause during the summer was no longer happening.

Also one ways and/or road closures were now possible allowing for an acceleration of work. 

22 minutes ago, Dave Hedgehog said:

Harmer mentioned in his briefing the other day that catchup time in tt/mgp plus the reduced traffic and no tourists meaning that the planned landside pause during the summer was no longer happening.

Also one ways and/or road closures were now possible allowing for an acceleration of work. 

Yes, there are definitely opportunities for some acceleration, and, personally, I'd like to see the original plan delivered, on budget. But, the scenario outlined by @Numbnuts ; a watered down version, but still spending the original budget, sounds just the sort of escape route, from the current mess, which the buffoons at DoI would take.

I have it on very good authority that what I'd put above was indeed happening but even then I've constantly said ' allegedly' as even i dont fully believe it but still my source has always been very good. I did also hear that prom would be one way but thinking that would be a step too far even for the DOI ! DOI though are apparently going to do the side streets by the side of Jaks and Quids in etc and not Auldyn . But who knows as its to be discussed but my belief is its already decided. Lets see these next few days and still no updated minutes on myprom website !!!    

Edited by Numbnuts

42 minutes ago, Numbnuts said:

I did also hear that prom would be one way but thinking that would be a step too far even for the DOI ! 

Well, funnily enough, I did notice, at the weekend, that on the walkway, on Loch Prom. they've put huge concrete blocks, surrounded by barriers, every 100m or so. Could be something to do with setting out new traffic management on that section?  

45 minutes ago, Nellie said:

Well, funnily enough, I did notice, at the weekend, that on the walkway, on Loch Prom. they've put huge concrete blocks, surrounded by barriers, every 100m or so. Could be something to do with setting out new traffic management on that section?  

Listen , im being ultra cautious as dont want to give out false info but my sources have always been spot on tbh ..if I was a betting man i'd go with what I've suggested above is going to happen but it just seems outrageous to cut back the scheme at this stage after all the outlay on plans and the likes . They will blame covid off that i'm sure and the general outlay in other areas and lack of finances etc. if they didnt cock up so much they would have plenty of money . 

Edited by Numbnuts

32 minutes ago, Numbnuts said:

Listen , im being ultra cautious as dont want to give out false info but my sources have always been spot on tbh ..if I was a betting man i'd go with what I've suggested above is going to happen but it just seems outrageous to cut back the scheme at this stage after all the outlay on plans and the likes . They will blame covid off that i'm sure and the general outlay in other areas and lack of finances etc. if they didnt cock up so much they would have plenty of money . 

what plans ? they're all artistic drawings which is why no one knows what the fuck to do.

• Like 1

Just now, WTF said:

what plans ? they're all artistic drawings which is why no one knows what the fuck to do.

The concept plans...they've always had those but your right detailed plans have been thin on the ground hence the jumping from area to area .