Promenade - Megathread

slinkydevil

1 hour ago, b4mbi said:

Baffling why the least expensive option has not been tried first of reducing the height of the beach at the sea wall.

But maybe the sea wall doesn't go down two meters, or if it does, its foundations have been undermined and it would collapse without the support of the beach?

Which could end up being a much more expensive job than just putting a wall on top to stop overtopping.

Wouldn't it be built down to or on the bedrock?

3 hours ago, b4mbi said:

Baffling why the least expensive option has not been tried first of reducing the height of the beach at the sea wall.

But maybe the sea wall doesn't go down two meters, or if it does, its foundations have been undermined and it would collapse without the support of the beach?

Which could end up being a much more expensive job than just putting a wall on top to stop overtopping.

Here we're wondering into the realms of massive holes under the promenade,  imminently about to swallow a double decker bus and killing all 80 people on board. Remember that?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, Scotty said:

But the elected puppets can’t make decisions or policies. Only the intelligent Civil servants can do that for them and give them the script or even the teleprompter to read. That is the limit of those not exposed to live questioning like HQ and David Ashford.

The elected puppets are put there by us to ensure that there is democratic oversight and control on behalf of us, the taxpayers.

Unfortunately, matters have evolved to a total culture of arrogant disdain for that principle. And the money we supply. It's time for a reset and if the Promenade business isn't the button then there is seriously something wrong.

These people have been fucking up for years on our tab. It needs to stop.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

all the prom is built on reclaimed land dating from early 1700s thro to 1930s for the bit near the current sea wall - certainly the 18th C sections were just rubbish stone + soil etc tipped into a blocked off part of foreshore with a sea facing stone wall and then the whole area stamped down to consolidate it - the 1930s stuff was probably concreted stone work facing rubble infill - quite how deep foundations of the sea wall go is an interesting question - I suspect not that deep

They must be fairly substantial to have lasted as long as they have though? The wall gets a battering every winter. Makes one wonder if anything the DOI could "construct" would last as long?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Out of the blue said:

That number could be easily trimmed to 4, maybe 5. 

I was shortlisted for the head of Comms for Lincs Police earlier this year. They had 12 in their department. Suffice it to say there wouldn’t have been for long had I got the job.

3 hours ago, Karellen said:

There's a Communications Executive – Climate Change.    Incredible.  Probably 3 ordinary working taxpayers needed to pay that salary alone 

Exec is an HEO role paying about 42k if I recall correctly.

there are other Comms people peppered throughout government departments too. 

16 hours ago, skins said:

The level at the wall is much higher than it was 20/30 years ago. 

Looks about the same to me as in photos from the 1930s.

Obviously the drop varies along the length of the prom. But it always has. And hasn't it always been prone to waves and stones coming over?

ETA: the daft horse trams are the waste of money.

Edited by pongo

18 minutes ago, pongo said:

Looks about the same to me as in photos from the 1930s.

Obviously the drop varies along the length of the prom. But it always has. And hasn't it always been prone to waves and stones coming over?

ETA: the daft horse trams are the waste of money.

Villa Marina right through to opposite Queens hotel should be worked on. If you need proof, just look at steps and slipways where the ice cream kiosks used to stand. There was always a drop to the beach

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, Derek Flint said:

I was shortlisted for the head of Comms for Lincs Police earlier this year. They had 12 in their department. Suffice it to say there wouldn’t have been for long had I got the job.

Exec is an HEO role paying about 42k if I recall correctly.

there are other Comms people peppered throughout government departments too. 

Wow, 12 for what is essentially one big government department! I assume that our police do not have any directly employed Comms people? As a general point,  I would have thought it would be more cost effective to have an in house mouth piece who interacts with a retained private media agency. That way we avoid the personal and pension liabilities and other overheads.