Promenade - Megathread

slinkydevil

15 minutes ago, Out of the blue said:

Wow, 12 for what is essentially one big government department! I assume that our police do not have any directly employed Comms people? As a general point,  I would have thought it would be more cost effective to have an in house mouth piece who interacts with a retained private media agency. That way we avoid the personal and pension liabilities and other overheads.

You need to be careful you are comparing like with like and some Comms Departments may also be doing useful stuff like dealing with FoI requests.  On the other hand, the Isle of Man's one that Derek linked to don't even deal with external enquiries from outside the Island.

This is all comparatively new of course.  Twenty years ago it would expected that the managers within a Department would be able to explain what they were doing as part of their job and that they would be the people to go on Mandate or whatever.  Politicians would be expected to write their own speeches and deal with any queries directly or by referring them to people in their Department.  Now both need to be surrounded by numerous people to tell them what to do.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Neil Down said:

Villa Marina right through to opposite Queens hotel should be worked on. If you need proof, just look at steps and slipways where the ice cream kiosks used to stand. There was always a drop to the beach

I was told a few good years back that part of the reason for the build up of sand along the stretch between Broadway and Switzerland Rd (especially opposite the Empress area) was caused by the construction of the extension to the breakwater (stabits and all that). Whether that's true or not I don't know but it might be a good-a-reason as any as to why the sand is built up there.

13 minutes ago, Andy Onchan said:

I was told a few good years back that part of the reason for the build up of sand along the stretch between Broadway and Switzerland Rd (especially opposite the Empress area) was caused by the construction of the extension to the breakwater (stabits and all that). Whether that's true or not I don't know but it might be a good-a-reason as any as to why the sand is built up there.

Not so much the stabits, more to do with the lack of upkeep on the groynes

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, TheTeapot said:

I'd go for Andy's explanation - the groynes are much older and were useful when the breakwater wasn't there. The overall flow onto Douglas beach was changed by that extension. 

Didn't doubt that for a second.

Andy may well be correct but it was a retired marine engineer that suggested renewing the groynes would be a step in the right direction. They did renew some a few years back but stopped.

6 minutes ago, Neil Down said:

Didn't doubt that for a second.

Andy may well be correct but it was a retired marine engineer that suggested renewing the groynes would be a step in the right direction. They did renew some a few years back but stopped.

'savings'

Hope they do their homework better on this wall their  putting up and its not the same muppet who designed those railings on Laxey beach that as everyone said wouldn't last . Punters 1 DOI 0 ! How embarrassing it would be for the first big storms the cracks appear . 

Edited by Numbnuts
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Numbnuts said:

Hope they do their homework better on this wall their  putting up and its not the same muppet who designed those railings on Laxey beach that as everyone said wouldn't last . Punters 1 DOI 0 ! How embarrassing it would be for the first big storms the cracks appear . 

Well if Gansey is anything to go on I wouldn't hold your breath!

• Like 2