Promenade - Megathread

slinkydevil

12 minutes ago, Numbnuts said:

I worked for Watlings when they had the contract for the first initial stage years ago at the Power station. Based in Glasgow and a subsidery of MacAlpines in those days anyway. Mainly did Piling and thats what I did with them here . Around mid 80's from memory. I'm sure its the same operation as the colour of Equipment ,waterproofs and gear was the same bright green . 

No, it's just a dude from Ramsey.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, finlo said:

No, it's just a dude from Ramsey.

You sure its just a off Island operation set up over here with a few guys. The gear they have has to cost multi thousands . I would be very suprised if its not just Whatlings (IOM) or the likes but its parent company is the Glasgow one 

googled and seems your correct as spelling is different .apologies for doubting you ..some investment though !  

Edited by Numbnuts

17 minutes ago, Numbnuts said:

You sure its just a off Island operation set up over here with a few guys. The gear they have has to cost multi thousands . I would be very suprised if its not just Whatlings (IOM) or the likes but its parent company is the Glasgow one 

googled and seems your correct as spelling is different .apologies for doubting you ..some investment though !  

I only post when I'm 95% sure of my facts.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Roger Mexico said:

There's me thinking it's a clever name referring to the long term durability and reliability of Roman roads.  And it turns out it's because it's run by a bloke called Watling.  It's nominative determinism gone mad, I tell you.

Being a fucking irritating pedant, it pisses me off when people pronounce it WOTling Street (the Roman Road) when it’s actually WATling Street.

That is all.

56 minutes ago, Dave Hedgehog said:

Interesting comment here

http://www.iomtoday.co.im/article.cfm?id=56114&headline=We won't leave Prom in a mess&sectionIs=NEWS&searchyear=2020

The plan for the light rail system isnt to link up the MER at all. It's to run a line beyween Birch Hill and Farmhill. 

Its so bonkers it could well happen. 

’It will look like the place you want to spend next summer’s holiday.

Hahahaha no it won't.

1 hour ago, Dave Hedgehog said:

Interesting comment here

http://www.iomtoday.co.im/article.cfm?id=56114&headline=We won't leave Prom in a mess&sectionIs=NEWS&searchyear=2020

The plan for the light rail system isnt to link up the MER at all. It's to run a line beyween Birch Hill and Farmhill. 

Mr Black said the rail laying may take 12 weeks, although Tadhg O’Mahoney, direct of contractors Auldyn, estimated five months for the work.

Who's giving odds on the outcome of this?

41 minutes ago, MadAsHell said:

Who's giving odds on the outcome of this?

They need to focus on just managing what their going to do by next March as I'm pretty sure they will fall along way short on that one too . Watch for more changes as it gets near end of March . And yes my money is def not going on Nick Blacks timescale ! And all at what price , we will never know 

Edited by Numbnuts
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, TheTeapot said:

Do you think that a funicular railway up Summerhill is in the fantasy pipeline? That'll be interesting.

Will be fun for cars and buses ! DOI sharpening their pencils as we speak ! Smiling as they realise this is a chance to go one better in the waste of money and cock up stakes ..cant wait ! 

3 hours ago, Dave Hedgehog said:

Interesting comment here

I for one do hope it happens, will be an excellent excuse for a few public executions.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1