Promenade - Megathread

slinkydevil

I'm a bit worried for the TE Brown statue outside the South African Bank. There must be someone, somewhere offended by that.

Only worried because it is always, always funny and lifts my spirits when i pass him and he has a traffic cone on his head.

Edited by b4mbi
Ed. Oops didn't see that had already been covered in nanx radio thread!!!

10 hours ago, b4mbi said:

I'm a bit worried for the TE Brown statue outside the South African Bank. There must be someone, somewhere offended by that.

Only worried because it is always, always funny and lifts my spirits when i pass him and he has a traffic cone on his head.

The artist that sculpted him must have realised what that hat brim would be used for. You could not actually design a better sized cone stand.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, the stinking enigma said:

The  cone adorned statue of TE Brown has become more well known in it's own right than TE Brown himself. It's about time we commissioned a statue of the statue of TE Brown, ideally with a bronze traffic cone sculpted in.

Could double as a statue of the other famous manx T Brown. Just have to add a letter D on the cone :)

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 6/12/2020 at 5:45 PM, Twitch said:

http://www.iomtoday.co.im/article.cfm?id=56114&headline=We won't leave Prom in a mess&sectionIs=NEWS&searchyear=2020 

Mr Black said in the long term, the new tracks may be used by modern trams as part of a possible light rail system running from Birch Hill to Farmhill.

I'm currently searching for the right emoji to express my disbelief at this idea..

“Mr Black accepted that it will cost more to go back to the scheme to complete the horse tramway.”

“He said a business case has yet to go in but will show the plan to go back and finish the tramway later will be ’better for the economy as a whole’.”

There has to be an acceptance at some point that there is no economic case for this proposition. There wasn’t pre-Covid and there certainly isn’t post-covid.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Derek Flint said:

“Mr Black accepted that it will cost more to go back to the scheme to complete the horse tramway.”

“He said a business case has yet to go in but will show the plan to go back and finish the tramway later will be ’better for the economy as a whole’.”

There has to be an acceptance at some point that there is no economic case for this proposition. There wasn’t pre-Covid and there certainly isn’t post-covid.

Its not going to happen 2021/22 . No chance . Wait till the fallout from this current Covid issue hits the fan and the costs are looked at. Health service bill will be horrendous along with the support packages to workers and limited income . CS pension scheme which had to find 50 million plus by 2021 is now going to have to find that or more immediately. And there's still the public sector salary bill to find . Hard times sadly on the horizon.   

Edited by Numbnuts

51 minutes ago, Numbnuts said:

Its not going to happen 2021/22 . No chance . Wait till the fallout from this current Covid issue hits the fan and the costs are looked at. Health service bill will be horrendous along with the support packages to workers and limited income . CS pension scheme which had to find 50 million plus by 2021 is now going to have to find that or more immediately. And there's still the public sector salary bill to find . Hard times sadly on the horizon.   

Don't you worry there's a rates 'adjustment' in the offing.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Numbnuts said:

Your right !!! And watch VAT or the likes change . Where in for lean times .

IOM gov. can't set their own rate of VAT, I'm sure it's tied to the UK rate.

19 minutes ago, Numbnuts said:

Yes I know but isnt UK in a mess too ? Vat will change I'm sure . Something will have to !

Despite the Brexit bollocks the UK finances could be a lot worse.

7 hours ago, Derek Flint said:

By the end of the financial crisis coming out of all this Black, Robinson and Longworth et all will be lucky if there’s enough money available to paint some railings on the prom. The largesse and waste of all this is actually offensive now to the thousands of people claiming benefits because they have had their jobs stolen from them. I would hope to see people getting angry at the waste associated with projects like this after a few months of everyone else being thrown on the scrap heap. The £21M spent on this is £21M that won’t be going to help people survive this crises or to help keep private citizens afloat. Frankly it stinks. 

5 minutes ago, Mr Newbie said:

By the end of the financial crisis coming out of all this Black, Robinson and Longworth et all will be lucky if there’s enough money available to paint some railings on the prom. The largesse and waste of all this is actually offensive now to the thousands of people claiming benefits because they have had their jobs stolen from them. I would hope to see people getting angry at the waste associated with projects like this after a few months of everyone else being thrown on the scrap heap. The £21M spent on this is £21M that won’t be going to help people survive this crises or to help keep private citizens afloat. Frankly it stinks. 

Well only the other week they said that the Prom wall was going ahead immediately and thats 500k plus and counting so it would seem nobody as pulled the reins in yet ! My therory always is that DOI dream up these high schemes to justify the management existence . No rush to repair the roads anytime soon so thats all it can be. What cost now all these schemes on the go currently ? Berthing in Liverpool ? The sooner someone with balls gets a grip of DOI the better for all of us. Sadly they and staff there seem bullet proof.. 

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, Mr Newbie said:

It'll be a lot more than £21M. Hadn't they already used up a huge chunk of the project contingency budget some months ago already? And how far have they got into the job? They're up for £30-£35M here, I'd say. Maybe more. And that's with the downscaled, half-arsed job they're now proposing.

Let's not also forget that there's been no all-consuming "voids" to fill in either, that were part of the reason for the job in the first instance. Theoretically they should be well within budget.

I see that they've also found the money to scrape off and resurface both carriageways from Sulby Kella into Sulby Bridge now too. Couldn't see what was wrong with it before to be honest. Perhaps they need to go out and have a look at the full length of the St Jude's "straight" if they feel the need to find some degraded road to upgrade.

Edited by Non-Believer
Extra bit
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, Non-Believer said:

It'll be a lot more than £21M. Hadn't they already used up a huge chunk of the project contingency budget some months ago already? And how far have they got into the job? They're up for £30-£35M here, I'd say. Maybe more. And that's with the downscaled, half-arsed job they're now proposing.

Let's not also forget that there's been no all-consuming "voids" to fill in either, that were part of the reason for the job in the first instance. Theoretically they should be well within budget.

Your right and I tend to agree re cost. Not maybe as much as 35 million but definately 30 million. But any extra over the 25 forecast  DOI have been told has to come out of there budget so we may never know . As for voids , yes I didnt see any and also they were to dig and excavate down 1.7 metres apparently and they haven't gone close to that . Even for the pipe runs .  Also I cant  see even with more workers down there how its going to be finished by March even leaving out the 'second' phase .

Edited by Numbnuts
  • Like 1