Promenade - Megathread

slinkydevil

Said it before and I'll say it again, it should have been done in bite sized chunks with a small area completed before moving on to the next. But hey I was told It doesn't work like that, you don't know what your talking about etc etc now look at it!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

36 minutes ago, Lewis said:

Any project planning obviously went out of the window on Day 2 and then it’s ad hoc decisions made on the fly to try and look as if something is being done. Now on 90% of the Prom actually nothing is being done, plant hire is a burning tax payers money and everyone has to put up with the chaos. Don’t know who’s worse Black and Robinson for their incompetence or the politicians for letting them get away with it for so long.

Don't think it lasted that long...

3 hours ago, Neil Down said:

What the hell is that mess of a walkway? looks as though they have dumped a load of sand and rolled it

Yes, I've seen that too. Looks like it's intended to last until the Walkway is rebuilt in 2021/2. Has no-one realised what happens to sand in rain and wind? 

13 hours ago, finlo said:

Said it before and I'll say it again, it should have been done in bite sized chunks with a small area completed before moving on to the next. But hey I was told It doesn't work like that, you don't know what your talking about etc etc now look at it!

And if it was done by competent people it would be finished! 

13 hours ago, finlo said:

I said the same.

14 hours ago, finlo said:

12 minutes ago, Andy Onchan said:

I said the same.

That may have worked for the surface finishes but it would have meant digging up the pipes first, replacing them to all the houses then putting back a temporary road or footpath until the surfacing in small areas gang came along. I have been told that is the biggest problem on the prom, underground pipes. Think about it, the pipes and wires must be put in the ground in long lengths to function and keep everyone down there with gas, water electric and sewers. I know a couple of retired civil engineers and they are very smart people, they told me this. It is not as simple as we think. I am not saying it could not be better down there but it is not as easy as us armchair engineers think.

20 minutes ago, Boris Johnson said:

That may have worked for the surface finishes but it would have meant digging up the pipes first, replacing them to all the houses then putting back a temporary road or footpath until the surfacing in small areas gang came along. I have been told that is the biggest problem on the prom, underground pipes. Think about it, the pipes and wires must be put in the ground in long lengths to function and keep everyone down there with gas, water electric and sewers. I know a couple of retired civil engineers and they are very smart people, they told me this. It is not as simple as we think. I am not saying it could not be better down there but it is not as easy as us armchair engineers think.

I agree to an extent, however said pipes and cables don't come in 2 mile lengths!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

They've been winging it since the day the job started. There was no proper scheme of works, anybody working for the contractors will tell you that.

I see it's come in for further criticism in Tynwald last week too, the "incompetence" word was actually used as well.

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, finlo said:

I agree to an extent, however said pipes and cables don't come in 2 mile lengths!

Start at the Sea terminal and finish at Summerland, that is what should have happened. It is not rocket science! Why would you start in the middle? the whole job is a f^^king shambles and those in charge need taking to task.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, Boris Johnson said:

That may have worked for the surface finishes but it would have meant digging up the pipes first, replacing them to all the houses then putting back a temporary road or footpath until the surfacing in small areas gang came along. I have been told that is the biggest problem on the prom, underground pipes.

Wow, so no other similar civil engineering project in the world has had to factor in underground pipes? 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Non-Believer said:

They've been winging it since the day the job started. There was no proper scheme of works, anybody working for the contractors will tell you that.

I see it's come in for further criticism in Tynwald last week too, the "incompetence" word was actually used as well.

Daphne Cain said anything more complex than making a cup of tea and they're stuffed!

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, TheTeapot said:

I don't think anyone thought it would be easy, loads of pipe and cable work with crap records of what was already there, but what's going on down there is just incredible!

I wonder if they are recording what they find for the future?

On 8/2/2020 at 10:44 AM, Non-Believer said:

I posted the same months ago. Read back in this topic. Concept plan but never detailed plans hence the jumping around to keep contractors busy till they produced some plans. Loads of cockups too along the way. And the poster above who states issues with services . Sea side theres hardly any and none that would cause a issue . No the problem is DOI and winging it and management being totally out of there depth .  

• Like 3