Promenade - Megathread

slinkydevil

12 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

The way some Govt Depts seem to be intent on continuing, somebody needs to advise them of the situation then? I was being told of a duplicated order for electric buses today but I can't vouch for its validity.

You can never have too many electric buses though.

41 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

The way some Govt Depts seem to be intent on continuing, somebody needs to advise them of the situation then? I was being told of a duplicated order for electric buses today but I can't vouch for its validity.

Maybe duel voltage.

1 hour ago, Non-Believer said:

I'd heard the same story a couple of weeks ago. Find it hard to believe but its Longworth , Black and DOI involved so I'm leaning to believe it 

Today I see there is a big illuminated sign erected by the DOI at the north end of the promenade which says. THANK YOU FOR YOUR PATIENCE.

Is this an attempt to totally appease us or is it “rubbing salt in the wound” ?

38 minutes ago, Cypman said:

Today I see there is a big illuminated sign erected by the DOI at the north end of the promenade which says. THANK YOU FOR YOUR PATIENCE.

Should just say: Sorry that we’re so shit! 

18 hours ago, Numbnuts said:

I'd heard the same story a couple of weeks ago. Find it hard to believe but its Longworth , Black and DOI involved so I'm leaning to believe it 

So, let's get this straight.....it's only Monday afternoon, and in DoI fantasyland, we already have three new tales of woe, this week:-

• A charity wants to give them money, to help runs the trams they are already getting millions to do?
  • The Airport forgot to open to receive the latest much publicised flight from Guernsey?
  • They seem to have ordered a batch of electric buses (total cost c£1.2m) twice?

Even for Black, Longworth and Reynolds, that's a exceptional start to the week.

Baker will be dusting off the 'The Ray Harmer Book of Excuses' as I type.

• Like 3

54 minutes ago, Cypman said:

Should just say. public are  SUCKERS .. we get paid over the odds for this incompetence. 

I have had a walk along the prom again this morning to see if any progress was being made after my last visit, boy oh boy it would make you cry if you were paying for that lot, DOI chap, bossy looking type having a chat with a fellow leaning a longtail shovel , had a good chat then fellow on shovel got out his moby, shovel dropped. I dispair at the attitude of staff at work on that job. If you are in the public eye and the job is under constant criticism ffs at least be discreet and f^^k off up a side street to get on your phone, there was no apparent urgency about getting anything done and that was 09.20 so cant say they were not on brew, give up looking after Broadway.

5 minutes ago, Beelzebub3 said:

I have had a walk along the prom again this morning to see if any progress was being made after my last visit, boy oh boy it would make you cry if you were paying for that lot, DOI chap, bossy looking type having a chat with a fellow leaning a longtail shovel , had a good chat then fellow on shovel got out his moby, shovel dropped. I dispair at the attitude of staff at work on that job. If you are in the public eye and the job is under constant criticism ffs at least be discreet and f^^k off up a side street to get on your phone, there was no apparent urgency about getting anything done and that was 09.20 so cant say they were not on brew, give up looking after Broadway.

You are though.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 8/6/2020 at 7:10 PM, Holte End said:

Infrastructure Minister Tim Baker has confirmed work is on schedule on these areas, despite some unforseen problems:

ffs I forgot unforeseen, that old chestnut. Baker must think we public are as daft as he is.

How long have these people been doing this kind of work, there should be no surprises in this kind of work.

Just another way to increase costs.

I also forgot another excuse, that if the job is really going to go over the date, find a viking burial ground and have to call in the archaeologists.

Oddly enough, I was only thinking the other day if there' was ever an onsite archaeologist in attendance for such major works. I'm pretty sure it's a legal requirement elsewhere (UK for example).

Just now, Andy Onchan said:

Oddly enough, I was only thinking the other day if there' was ever an onsite archaeologist in attendance for such major works. I'm pretty sure it's a legal requirement elsewhere (UK for example).

Hardly - it's reclaimed land.

23 minutes ago, Beelzebub3 said:

I may well have walked past you! I thought much the same. Although there are some sections where you can see progress, week to week, there's no doubt a lot of time and man power is being wasted.

Last week, at the new fancy zebra crossing, by Victoria Street, there was a guy, actually lying on the ground, playing on his phone....... I really wish I'd taken a photo. This is one of the bits now being done by DoI own staff. I know people get tea-breaks etc. but, as you say, a bit of common sense..........

Edited by Nellie